cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a wee bitty help please

hoolits
Grafter

a wee bitty help please

Just bought and (after still many lengthy trials and tribulations) setting up a new Dell desktop computer with the Vista upgrade from XP.
I'm getting there slowly tho.
With the old XP I had a set up where it was possible to click on the Voyager modem icon  (showing speed, duration on line etc) and disconnect the Internet connection
after reading Emails etc, and continue working offline.
I now have a wireless reuter and have been trying all afternoon to find if it is possible to have the same setup as I had with the old computer and XP.
Does anyone know if the internet connection can be disconnected in Vista apart from having to log off and start up the system again.
Thanks,
BTW please make it simple.... a,b,c etc.
Large Glenfiddoch awaits on mantlepiece ;))
Roy
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: a wee bitty help please

what browser are you using?  with firefox and my older IE , file, work offline
hoolits
Grafter

thanks Pierre,
I'm using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
Is that the right answer when you ask what browser?
If so how do I get into the file option
When I click I/E it goes straight to the Google page .
I don't see the file section anywhere on the page!!
I know I'm gonna look stupid with your reply.....
Roy.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

very top LH corner
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

with IE8 but if you are using IE7 you need to follow the instructions here http://browsers.about.com/od/internetexplorertutorials/ss/ie7menubar.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re the Google Home page, that is how it seems to get shipped, but if you get a page that you would like as your home page, go to preferences and set it there.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

With the old XP I had a set up where it was possible to click on the Voyager modem icon  (showing speed, duration on line etc) and disconnect the Internet connection
after reading Emails etc, and continue working offline.
I now have a wireless reuter and have been trying all afternoon to find if it is possible to have the same setup as I had with the old computer and XP.
Does anyone know if the internet connection can be disconnected in Vista apart from having to log off and start up the system again.

Can I ask why you think you need disconnect from the Internet ?
There is really no need to disconnect the Internet connection, broadband is designed to be an 'always on' system. In your old configuration with the Voyager modem your PC was, to some extent, directly connected to the internet with a public address and therefore potentially more vulnerable. With the new setup your router is connected to the internet and your PC is connected to the router using a private address. This configuration provides a much less vulnerable configuration and together with sensible firewall ( e.g Windows Firewall ) and antivirus s/w there really is no need to disconnect from the internet.
Having said that when using a wireless router the simplest way that you are able to disconnect the PC from the internet is  turn off the wireless on the PC.

I hope that helps. Please post back with any questions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hoolits
Grafter

Thanks guys for all the replies, info and help
Firstly Pierre, gotcha..... go to  file and click work offline.....
(course who deleted the bl..dy Menu Bar, no wonder I couldn't find it
and I told you I was going to look stupid !!)
Thats one Glenfiddoch on the mantlepiece.
Another wee half to oldjim cos I got IE8, thanks.
To make up the other half of the dram..... to MisterW
for his input.
For his info, I'm limited to a monthly usage by my ISP.
However now I'm back on song but remember guys,
the whisky is prone to evaporation, spillage and greed,
You'd better hurry !!
;))
Roy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Yes, most of us are. The background traffic when just the router is connected to the internet is normally in the order of  100-200kB / day ( approx 3-6MB /month ) . Since most monthly limits are in the 2GB upwards / month , this level of background traffic is usually insigificant.
Is your ISP not Plusnet then ? If it is PlusNet then you can use the VMBU ( https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php ) to check your background usage by leaving your router on overnight and checking the free usage amount.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I take it you are with PN?
To make up the other half of the dram..... to MisterW
for his input.

You only get charged for the download and upload traffic,  leaving the WiFi connected 24/7 will only use a few or less Mb per day for background noise, only reasons for switching of WiFi is A) to save a small amount of electricity.  B) to stop anyone getting at you if you havnt got decent secrity (and if not why)
MisterW got in before me, but I have added some more
atbs1
Grafter

Following on from pierre-pierre: "B) to stop anyone getting at you if you havnt got decent secrity (and if not why)"
I'd recommend everyone to go and visit the Gibson Research Corporation and try their "Shields Up" programme - to test your security settings! BTW, it's free!!
hoolits
Grafter

C'mon now guys! no more whisky on the mantlepiece.
Yes I'm with Plusnet with a tied in usage and 'phone deal.
and if I go over my usage I pay extra per GB.
I'm happy with the deal.
Yes, got Avast, CCleaner and Windows Firewall downloaded,
I'll give the other suggestions a try tho, thanks.
It's great  that there are
people, like yourselves, out there that will take the time and effort to help us
otherwise less knowledgeable.
Don't worry I reckon I'll be back on with further stupid questions
Again many thanks and......
I'd better just have those wee goldies before they do evaporate 
;))
Roy
Santiago
Grafter

Roy, there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are only questions, which we like because if we don't know the answer we find out too!