cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a tale of woe

dgk
Grafter

a tale of woe

Last weekend I was working on my amd  PC when it stopped responding, then it spoke to me! Can not remember what it said exactly, but the problem was with the CPU. I turned it off immediately. A while later I turned it back on everything seemed ok and has continued ok (apart from below)
A couple of days after this the monitor used with the amd pc  stopped working, just a black screen. If you look very closely you can just make out the images, so I imagine the back light has failed.
Now it could be a coincidence having these 2 events but I did wonder if I had experienced a voltage surge. Anyway I have ordered some surge protection sockets.
This PC (AMD) is connected to my router with a usb cable, my Intel PC is connected to the amd PC with a crossover cable. Several times over the last week the intel PC has been unable to connect to the internet. I have just booted both PC’s the amd PC has internet connection but the intel PC does not. To get the intel PC on line I can connect it directly to the Ethernet port on the router and then it is ok, so the problem does not seem to be with this intel PC.
As I say this has happened several times during the last week
This morning would it not work with crossover cable even after several reboots, was ok connected straight to router, tried again with crossover cable and it was ok.
I then attempted to use system restore, after which there was no internet on crossover cable.
I power down both PC’s before changing cables.
I have tried using system restore last Wednesday and today and get the message “your computer cannot be restored to ?? oct system checkpoint. I have tried on both days to restore to various dates and none have worked. Today I created a restore point at 8: 19 and have just (10:15) tried to restore to it, it would not.
Sorry about long post but thought I should include all happenings encase they are related.
Can anyone help with internet or system restore problems?
7 REPLIES 7
artificer
Grafter

Re: a tale of woe

try checking your crossover cable.  maybe borrow cable to go direct to router.
sometimes several reboots helps things to settle down.
check one computer separately at a time to ensure fully working.
dgk
Grafter

I have found that if I turn off Norton Internet Security I can use system restore !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

alternative is to use it in safe mode
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm with dgk on this one.  I found Norton caused this problem so stopped using it.  Switched to AVG and had no problems.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Almost any Security Package which includes a self protection feature will block it except in safe mode
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:a tale of woe

Good advice there, might be worth an article over in the support library.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Chris,
Be my guest - you have my full permission to pinch my suggestion.  Cool