cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneAlarm Free and W7

Mav
Fixes: 515

ZoneAlarm Free and W7

Has anyone downloaded ZA9.1.007.002 and successfully used it?
Is there really any need for ZA under W7?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: ZoneAlarm Free and W7

No and no.  I don't see that there is any need for ZoneAlarm (firewall) in Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later, Windows Vista or Windows 7.  Not to mention the fact that most people these days use a router with its own firewall (rather than a modem).
If you really want to set your own outbound firewall rules then Windows 7 will allow you to do this.
Mav

The concensus from other websites is that W7 Firewall is more than up to the task. I was never going to trust XP's and have never installed (or even thought about installing Vista).
It's just that with W7 everything seems to be silently done (maybe it's the way I've set it up) whereas with ZA I felt that I had some control.
Anyway, from what I have been reading it seems that I'm going to be as safe as I can with my setup and why add further complications with other software!
Cheers

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Not applicable

Sounds as if you are quite satisfied with the W7 firewall without configuring it to monitor outward bound connections.
However, if you want to make it truly two-way with very little bother, no expense and zilch effect on system resources, take a look : HERE.
Have used it before and it is a very small, easy to use piece of software.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes I have used Zonealarm 9.1.007 with win 7, no problems at all. Not sure if there is any need of it but I also like to see some thing working and makes me feel in control even if I'm not Tongue
Mav

So far I have left W7 settings as per the way they were automatically setup at installation.
I have now delved a little deeper and can see that Domain/Private/Public Profiles all outbound traffic is allowed and inbound are blocked but, obviously, I must have had some inbound or the internet wouldn't work.
What I liked with ZA is the fact that all inbound/outbound traffic would be reported and you could deny, allow once or permanently allow. Not too sure how that works with W7.
What I don't understand is how, with all inbound connections blocked, I have access to the internet and the rest of my network. How have some programs been allowed without any input from me?
I see that Display a notification for inbound conections is set but I've yet to see any notifications.

Not applicable

Yes, I do agree - you seem to have the feeling of more control with a third-party app.
I recently installed Ashampoo firewall on an elderly XP computer. Never used it before but chose it because it is lightweight. Was quite impressed - it does what you say, is easily configurable and best of all it tells you all the processes that are running and in start up.
It enabled me to stop a process that was hogging memory because it gave me a full explanation of what it was so I knew it could be safely stopped.
My Kaspersky firewall configured itself on install and very rarely pops up now. Mainly it is only when I put in a USB stick or CD/DVD and often it makes its own mind up about risk potential.