Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Alarm - New Virus Alert

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Zone Alarm - New Virus Alert

Thanks for the comments.  The https:// connection is evidently the most important thing therefore, and I doubt if I am alone by not checking each time that I am connected to https://; it is too easy to take it for granted and in future I must double check !
As far as the the memory stick is concerned, there is no risk actually from it failing, because I keep a back-up in a secret place.  From a security point of view, it has the added value that the file name can be disguised with another file format and "hidden" among other documents.  If the memory stick fell into the wrong hands, the encrypted data file would not be identifiable, nor would it be accessible without the separate software or without the password.
The data password can be easily changed as can the various passwords which it contains, and I do so regularly.  The data password is randomly generated and comprises 12 characters / numerics / symbols - it can be up to 32.
Finally, the software itself 'copies and pastes' the required details for the welcome screen into the clipboard for only 30 seconds or until it is entered into the welcome screen, after which it is deleted automatically from the clipboard.  So I do not believe that there is any serious exposure there.  I have just tried to paste them into "Word" as an experiment, and it does not work !  Furthermore, the software automatically closes after a period (default 15 minutes) of inactivity which I can select, further reducing the risk.
I would seriously urge anyone considering writing passwords on "post-its" not to do so under any circumstances.  Firstly, "post-its" have a nasty habit of finding their way into waste-paper baskets, cars, handbags, pockets from where they can easily get lost, and secondly, writing a password down is a security breach which most banks will not tolerate - if they can prove that you wrote a password down, they can and regularly do wriggle out of liability for a hacked bank or credit card account.  So beware of the previous advice on that score because that is not good practice.  I hope that it was meant 'tongue-in-cheek'. Wink
wurzel
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually replacing my old XP PC with a shiny new Windows 7 one soon so am going to switch to the Windows 7 firewall.
By the way, if you mean Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx, this only gives you virus and spyware protection and not a software firewall as ZoneAlarm does.
Bob

I tried your link but kept getting "we are unable to install the scanner"
I am running Windows 7 and Norton 360
Ended up down loading"Microsoft Security Essentials"
Full scan took over 2 hours.
Is that the same thing ?
bobboulby
Grafter

Sorry it's taken ne a long time to reply  Embarrassed
I'm not sure why you had problems installing but yes I was referring to "Microsoft Security Essentials" (MSE) and yes if you've got a lot of files then a full scan can take several hours.
If you've already got Norton 360 then you are effectively duplicating functionality as Norton will do the same job as MSE.
Bob
wurzel
Grafter

Thanks Bob,
It was actually Get a free Safety Scan for Windows 7that I got the Unable to Install the Scanner message