Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Alarm - New Virus Alert

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Zone Alarm - New Virus Alert

This morning when I switched on my laptop , I had a pop up screen from ZONE ALARM advising me there was a new world wide virus ZeuZ.zbot.aoaq that can steal you banking login details..... it also states that Norton, AVG FREE , AVAST FREE, and AVIRA FREE , cannot cope with it....
I have sent an email to my bank to ask what their security department is doing to protect my (and others) bank account from this virus.....
I also googled it, and got this  page....
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100916175545AAEVAVR
general consensus seems to be that ZONEALARM  are trying to scare "free" users into purchasing their "suite" ..... and that the other companies will probably be aware of the virus, and doing something about it...
18 REPLIES 18
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Zone Alarm - New Virus Alert

Colour me sceptical, but this is more the tactics of something like Antivirus 2009.
I'd not be surprised if it was Antivirus 2009 trying to tarnish ZA's reputation so that people uninstall it and leave themselves more vulnerable.
But I'm a massive cynic.
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobboulby
Grafter

I got this warning this morning as well. At first I thought that I actually had a virus but closer inspection showed that it was just a sales pitch for the ZoneAlarm security suite.
I'm sure this message will scare many users. I think it's very shoddy tactics by Check Point and would if anything prompt me to look for an alternative product.
Bob
thisoldman
Grafter

hi bob  iv used microsoft windows security live  its free and v good.  It does 4 jobs for you.
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually replacing my old XP PC with a shiny new Windows 7 one soon so am going to switch to the Windows 7 firewall.
By the way, if you mean Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx, this only gives you virus and spyware protection and not a software firewall as ZoneAlarm does.
Bob
thisoldman
Grafter

bob  u r correct  my apols    i use mcafee  but microsoft is better at getting rid of virus than mcafee.  you might also want to run
mrt.exe.  run type  mrt .exe its quite good as well    ( malicious software removal tool)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

A member of my family fell foul of this yesterday. Glad to say that the bank were obliging and refunded him very quickly, I use the same bank so I'm updating my AV software as soon as I get home.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bobboulby
Grafter

I'm getting confused now. Is the consensus that this is a virus rather than a sales pitch by Check Point?
Bob
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its both
but Zone Alarm are running down the oposition to get you to spend money with them
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would be interested to know more about the key loggers and other infiltrations that malware like this Zeus virus can introduce.  Is anyone knowledgeable ?
I use internet banking a lot.  I have a fire-wall and anti virus software, and all the Plusnet safeguards are switched on, and I believe there is limited protection from the ADSL modem router as well.  But as an added safeguard, I use an encrypted programme for my log-in details, which are kept on a memory stick independent of my computer - I also keep the software itself on a second memory stick, so that a thief would need to have both memory sticks plus the encrypted password to access my data.  Naively perhaps, I like to think that, as nothing is actually loaded on the hard disk of my computer, and if the memory sticks are not plugged in, then no hacker could breach my security.  Because of this system, I never use the same password twice, but I do not have to remember them all or write them down, because they are all held on this encrypted memory stick, and I change them regularly.  All I have to remember is the one password for the encrypted memory stick, which I do not write down anywhere but manage to carry in my head.
However........when I log on to internet banking, having first inserted the two memory sticks and logged into the software on one of the memory sticks, I then have to copy and paste my log-in details for internet banking from the other memory stick into the welcome screen from the bank.  My log-in details are originally generated randomly by the memory stick software, and consist of an array of numbers and letters that have no particular sequence - certainly not memorable.
I may however be deluding myself that this is fool-proof, and that a key or data logger could not capture the "copy-and-pasted" log-in details because the only keys I have pressed are "Control+V" or paste; the actual details are not entered individually by ever using the keyboard.  Can anyone re-assure me ?
I have no cause for worry particularly - except that a couple of weeks ago I got a message ostensibly from a credit card company that I needed to log-in to read their updated terms and conditions.  From the email address, I could see that it was a scam, and of course I did not do so (although it all looked extremely plausible until I checked the header).  My account was not compromised.  But I was surprised that the scammer had my correct, credit card specific, email address which I only use for that credit card, because I have my own domain and can allocate targeted email addresses.  I realise that they could have obtained that information from hacking into the credit card company's emailing list rather than from data or key logging my computer, but it still set me thinking.
So I wonder how secure I really am.  Any observations ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you use un scrambled e-mails: - they are not secure
do you make sure you only use HTTPS connections, HTTP is not secure
Do you use WiFi with WEP security, that is not secure
did you know that even if you use a memory stick M$S puts a copy in all sorts of odd locations.
Stay secure walk into you local bank
gadfly
Grafter

HSBC bank provides this website monitoring software that keeps users safe from all of the ways that criminals use to part us from our money. -
http://www.trusteer.com/solutions/home-users/online-security
It can be used on any website, such as PayPal, etc.
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the responses.
I would try the Trusteer software from HSBC but my bank unfortunately is not one of those banks that use it.  However, it appears that I may be able to run it anyway havbing looked at their website and I will try it out.  Thanks for the tip.
I don't use scrambled emails but I never use emails in connection with banking or anything which might be secure.
I will try to pay more attention that I am always connected via https:// - a very good point you make and very easily overlooked !
I cannot use anything but WEP because that is all that my Linksys 354G modem/router offer.
I did not know that Microsoft puts copies of data from memory sticks in odd places, and I will therefore now search my system to see if I can fnd anything.
Finally, unfortunately walking into a bank is not practical - I live in the sticks and the nearest bank is over 20 miles away !
Thanks for all the ideas.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: shermans
...I cannot use anything but WEP because that is all that my Linksys 354G modem/router offer...

Time for a new router then as, like Pierre says, WEP isn't secure so your connection is very susceptible to anyone using it for starters. Plusnet supply routers and you may get a 'free' router as a 12 month contract can sometimes be started where the router cost can be deferred until your year is up then it's free! This depends on if you're in a contract with them presently of course.
Maybe an idea to improve ALL your wireless security and not just banking.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: shermans
However........when I log on to internet banking, having first inserted the two memory sticks and logged into the software on one of the memory sticks, I then have to copy and paste my log-in details for internet banking from the other memory stick into the welcome screen from the bank.  My log-in details are originally generated randomly by the memory stick software, and consist of an array of numbers and letters that have no particular sequence - certainly not memorable.
I may however be deluding myself that this is fool-proof, and that a key or data logger could not capture the "copy-and-pasted" log-in details because the only keys I have pressed are "Control+V" or paste; the actual details are not entered individually by ever using the keyboard.  Can anyone re-assure me ?

If you are using a https location - as you would be, it wouldn't matter if you sent it with no wireless security.
The encryption is between you and the bank (end to end) - analysis of the data sent via wireless would not reveal data/passwords.
However, use of USB keys is a big weakness.
If one fails, you will lose your bank password.
When you copy something in Windows it gets copied to your clipboard, where it may remain until you switch your PC off, and from where any program can copy it.
This is how copy and paste works.
Try attempting to paste your password into a Word document.
I would suggest that a post-it note would be more secure. Smiley
This would at least allow you to change your password every few months - if you are up to it - I haven't changed mine for years... Sad

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."