Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZORIN is the new WINDOWS !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

ZORIN is the new WINDOWS !

ZORIN 15  (   https://zorinos.com/   )

is the best alternative to running Windows.

Simple to Download, burn and install.

Download and install Windows type programs with ease.

it is also.... FREE...  and updating does not require you to wait for it to be configured ! .

See my post on this page....

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/No-more-quot-Windows-is-updating-quot/...

32 REPLIES 32
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 54

Re: ZORIN is the new WINDOWS !

Thanks for that, @shutter . I will be downloading at some time in the near future and have a play when I can find my pendrive.

Might be a little while though - things to do around the house first.😉

John
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

I have installed it in a VM on a Linux PC.

It installs Wine and various Windows crud very effectively to allow Windows programs to run (I installed Windows Acrobat Reader) - even though much more efficient PDF readers come pre-installed with most Linux's as standard.

I found the user interface to be very clumsy, though, compared with a number of Linux's.

I'd only suggest Zorin is usable if you've got some incredibly vital Windows program that needs running and for which there isn't a Linux alternative.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

I'd only suggest Zorin is usable if you've got some incredibly vital Windows program that needs running and for which there isn't a Linux alternative.

It is a well known fact  ( on this forum ) that you are "anti" windows...

but this attitude will not make those windows users , who are disillusioned with windows, to try ZORIN, .....

which is the whole point of ZORIN in the first place...

i.e.  to give windows users a chance of migrating ( almost ) seamlessly to Linux via ZORIN.

As a point of interest... I have it running on my 2nd laptop... and find that it works extremely well,   I have no problems with it at all... and...

as a further "trial" I installed it on my wife`s laptop... and she does not even know she is not running on Windows any more... ! ! .. 

As a further point of interest... not all Windows type programs will run with WINE, whatever flavour of Linux you are affiliated to.... ( as I well know, with Microsoft Publisher 98 - my documents are all written with this program, for which I have installed Virtual Box 6... and the extension, as mentioned in the "sticky" thread at the top of this board.

N.B.  there may well be "similar" programs...  to MSPUB98, but none of them can convert the MSPUB98 documents to their "own" native format...

( I have tried them all..... ! )

And, anyway, I like the program, and find it easy to use, after using it for 20 odd years or so..!.

Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Fair enough - but a user interface choice is a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I found Zorin a bit disappointing - but each to their own.

I find that setting up Wine in Linux such a bind that I don't normally do it - but Zorin did it automatically for me so that's a major plus for Zorin and it did install and run a Windows program, so perhaps I shouldn't complain too much. 😁

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 168

@shutter 

You have caused me a huge dilemma in your promoting of Zorin and in the past Linux Mint. I have a fast computer so Windows update is not an issue. I extensively use the Microsoft Office suite. To be honest I have tinkered with Libre Office and have never really got on with it though no doubt I could get to grips with it if I tried, I would also need to move my POP3 emails off Outlook onto another programme such as Thunderbird if I went to Linux.

Yesterday I was casually looking through the ports that Microsoft open ready for my use and was astonished by the number. These ranged from Twitter (I have never twitted in my life), to Microsoft Azure, which I have absolutely no intention of using. I haven’t bothered to look any further and just trust to luck. On top of this Microsoft Office 2010 security updates are stopping soon and the only way I can currently see to get the full suite of programmes that I use is to pay for an Office 365 subscription.

In the back of my head I hear, “ditch Windows and switch to Linux” screaming at me. Now we come to the snag.

To save money and for convenience the web is used for managing everything from Gas and Electricity Utilities through shopping to Banking. I am not getting any younger and have spent hours, maybe years, getting SWMBO, who is not naturally computer literate to use and manage these services through the web. If I stay with Microsoft products I am pretty certain that in my absence she could continue using and if necessary get help easily if there was an issue with the computer. I fear that it is much more likely that over time that there would more problems using a raft of open source applications on a non-mainstream operating system, with many fewer, if any, people close to her who could help.

I guess that I will just take the hit and leave things as they are. On the other hand…????

Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 I'll leave the full answer to @shutter because he is using the OS, where I am only at the stage of reading up on it and trying to get me spare laptop ready to use as a 'test-bed', but from what I've discovered so far, once the Zorin OS is installed and running as you want it, there is very little difference for people such as your SWMBO - the interface, programs &c work just as they would under Windows.

Yes, program installation is a little different and regular maintenance a bit if a different beast, but I'm sure you would gt your head round that

John
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

@VileReynard wrote:
I found the user interface to be very clumsy, though, compared with a number of Linux's.

Disable / remove the Zorin shell-extensions and you'd get the GNOME3 experience as designed.

Perhaps vanilla GNOME3 isn't the best choice of DE if Zorin is targeting long-time Windows users, though.

Maybe they should go all-out retro and use XFCE with the Redmond97 theme 🤣

Seasoned Hero

@jab1 

I have no doubt that I would have no problems whatsoever, in fact I would relish the challenge of moving to Linux but that is not the issue. My concern is mainly centred on maintenance in the future should I not be around.

I have installed Linux mint on an old single core 1GHz Dell laptop for a friend and it has been doing a sterling job during this lockdown in daily use educating her children so I am quite aware of how much more efficient Linux is. I am tempted to look out for an old cheap laptop just to play.

All Star
Fixes: 1

Another option for those looking to migrate from Windows might be ReactOS.

Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 I understand your concerns totally, but how often do problems occur? TBH I can't remember when my 7 y.o. Samsung has had a problem that needed any real technical knowledge. I admit I probably regard things from an 'experienced' veiwpoint, but still....

P.s. would you like the 'unofficial', but very detailed guide?

John
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1   As @jab1  says... ZORIN is only the "carrier" for using the internet... also... it downloads and installs WINE4.0 for all the microsoft type programs to be installed, as if they were running on Windows... it is exactly the same procedure... download the MS prog... you get an .exe file.... just click on it... and it installs exactly the same way on ZORIN .... only difference being...that the first MS prog to be installed will take a bit longer, and may have some "odd" questions to answer, about downloading and installing stuff, but you just "agree" as usual, and it does the work for you.   After the first one is installed, any further MS type progs just install with no problems... except if WINE needs some "extras" when it will ask your permission, and you just give it...

Firefox, thunderbird, Opera and any other software for browsing or emails, should work with no problems..

Managing your Gas/Electricity , banking, and other "on line" stuff, Ebay , amazon, etc... will be just the same as running on Windows... so there will be nothing to do regarding "open source" and installing using the Command Line, /Terminal instructions..  

As for updates/maintenance... there is a small "shield" icon that appears on the bottom task bar ( called the "Panel"  in Linux...)  if your computer is up to date, it shows a green tick mark... if there are updates ready, then it will show an exclamation mark... you just click on the shield... give your permission ( "Authenticate"in Linux)  giving your password...and it all happens while you get on with everything you normally do... once they are downloaded and installed... that`s it.... you may see the "your computer is up to date" message.. but you do not have to shut down...wait for the updates to be "configured"  and then boot up and wait again for them to be configured again, before you can use the computer.... when you shut down, for the day.. or whenever... the next time you boot up.. no delay.. no configuring...  jsut get on with what you want to do, as soon as it is ready.. ( usually within a minute or so from boot up ) ....  Easy peasy ! !

Like you, I cannot seem to "get on" with Libre /Open Office for making documents... and other stuff... I tried to print a DL envelope the other day... and found out, ( via google search ) that I had to download an extra APP just to print an envelope... I could not find any way of doing it with the straightforward install of Libre/Open Office software suite...

My preferred DTP is Microsoft Publisher 98.. which works extremely well... unfortunately, although it does "seem" to install on Linux through WINE.. it does not work, ( for some reason.. maybe some dll file is needed but no messages to say so) .. so I have Installed VIRTUAL BOX 6.0 and the Extension to get the usb and printer to work. and run the MSPUB98 prog from there in Windows7 Pro...

A bit tricky to get VB6 and the Extension pack to work properly... but eventually it did, and now all is calm and serene again ! ! .. ( need to get permissions with the "users and groups" section of zorin)

As for updating Microsoft Office suite... do you really need any updates ?   does it work ?  if so.. I doubt any "updates" will make any difference.  ( not sure what "security" should be needed, unless you use it to go "online" for stuff... )

If you Installed VB6 & the extension pack... you would be running a "virtual" machine with Windows XXX and you could still connect to the internet through Windows if you wanted .

Wanna cheap version. to see if it installs on ZORIN...  ? ? ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=microsoft+office+2019+professional+plus&_sacat=0&_s...

As for those progs that "don`t wanna work"... there is a very very extensive supply of  (alternative) software programs/applications, in the "software manager" which install very simply, just by clicking on the "install" button on the description panel ! ! !.. what could be simpler  ? ? 

So.. to sum up... I see no problems with which you seem to have concerns about, for the future use of a machine with ZORIN installed upon...  it just needs you to take a "leap of faith"... get a spare hdd and a usb stick...  put the blank hdd in the laptop... install ZORIN.. and see how it goes... after you have done all the other stuff installing on it... and played around with it for a few days.. you will probably wonder why you used windows in the first place.. ! ! !..( just like me... ) .. ( doing it on the spare HDD keeps your original windows as a "back up" ... ! )   and cheaper than another laptop ! ! !>.

As I mentioned, somewhere... my missus is running ZORIN 15 and hasn`t a clue that she is not running windows ! ! ! ...... "need I say more  ? ? ? )

@Mook  said....  Another option for those looking to migrate from Windows might be ReactOS.

However, this is still being "developed"  after about 15 years... and is still in the age of Windows 2000, I think I read somewhere.. so not really a viable proposition.

Seasoned Hero

@jab1 

I live in a road where several older people look upon me as the local (and free) go to 'expert' with computer problems and know that even the simplest of issues flummox people. They don't have to be what I, and no doubt you, would consider to be technical. More often than not it's just finger trouble.

Things do go wrong, I have just rebuilt my base unit. It was an interesting fault and started with the real time clock showing the wrong time. I removed the BIOS battery and found it down to 0.6V! This seemed to have screwed up the BIOS completely in that I could no longer even access it. Removing the battery and shorting the terminals did nothing. I can only assume that the low voltage has some-how either broken or re-written parts of the BIOS EEROM.

Rather than pursue this I have used this as the opportunity (excuse?) to replace the 8 year old motherboard and processor with an i5 9600k based unit with a M2 system SSD. Other peripherals such as graphics card and monitor have been upgraded over recent years.

It's this that made me think about future support. My logic tells me that if Windows 10 and Microsoft Office are automatically updated then providing the new hardware holds up this computer 'should' have years of trouble free life in it that is able to do everything that SWMBO needs.

However, if you could point me to the detailed Zorin guide I would be interested in reading it. If I get another computer going I will have a play.

Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 I understand what you are saying - except the bit about W10 😉 - I have three family members running that, and every one of them are constantly complaining about it for one reason or another. Unfortunately, because I failed to learn to like that iteration of the OS, I occasionally  struggle to help, and the older I get, the shorter my patience.

Hence why I plan a migration, hopefully seamless, to an Open Source OS, for when my current system suffers a terminal illness.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ3cDskZKI5apu8Bd3b2EhrORpUytVYJ2Isy  - the Zorin 12 Lite manual - 15 not yet written, but will be essentially the same.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZv85DkZMtmfw942v9f12U9CHFW17JkbhEK7 the Z 15 Core for a more up-to-date one.

Both work - as I've got them

John
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  To a point.. I can see that you are concerned about "future" problems, when you are "no longer with us"..  as the saying goes... but.... Will you really care,... then.  ? ? ? ?   No.. because.. as the saying goes.. "you are no loneger with us"...

If those who you currently assist, with their computer tech, have problems... they will have to find some other alterntative "rescue" system.... exactly the same as if you moved house to the next town... or even just a mile or two away...

If the problem did happen to be a "low voltage" on their laptop bios battery, and it did not boot up.. they would not have a clue.  and probably neither would you , unless you wanted to spend real time digging deep. they would probably think it had "died" on them.. and go out and buy a new one....

Stop seeing problems... take that leap...!   You know it makes sense ! ! ! ..  Cushty... ! ...