Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZORIN is the new WINDOWS !

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 13

Re: ZORIN is the new WINDOWS !

@Baldrick1 

Too late for you now but if you "bork" a BIOS in future then Intel provide a BIOS Recovery tool which allows you to boot up and fix whatever the problem is / was.

I learnt this from experience !!!

Brian

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

Hello @shutter 

Thanks for coming back with your comprehensive reply. I will have a go when I find the time. In the meantime I have tried the link to your Office 2019 offers and am having a punt to see if one of the more realistic offers work, having ignored the £2.49 offers with no feedback!

I remember getting a recycled XP Pro licence from a computer fair decades ago and that authenticated with no problems, so fingers crossed!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

@bmc , @shutter 

If I'm honest I only had a cursory attempt, that is, changing the battery, at fixing the screwed up BIOS. I've fancied something newer and faster for a while so this was the perfect opportunity to justify the cost of the upgrade to myself.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Baldrick1 A correction, regarding the updates.... for ZORIN.. you use "software updater"... which downloads and installs any updates, when you have given the password... when it has finished, you MIGHT  get a message saying you have to restart your computer to use the updates... but this is not essential, at that moment... and can be delayed, until..... whenever you want... even to the end of the day.. When you restart.( next morning)  it will be as if nothing has happened... so...still... no "please wait while windows configures your updates" ... ! ! ..

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

It will also never issue any messages about updates being applied when you try to shutdown your computer.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Yesterday I was casually looking through the ports that Microsoft open ready for my use and was astonished by the number. These ranged from Twitter (I have never twitted in my life), to Microsoft Azure, which I have absolutely no intention of using. I haven’t bothered to look any further and just trust to luck. On top of this Microsoft Office 2010 security updates are stopping soon and the only way I can currently see to get the full suite of programmes that I use is to pay for an Office 365 subscription.

In the back of my head I hear, “ditch Windows and switch to Linux” screaming at me.

I have Mint running on a VM and it works ok like that. I go dabble every now and then. And that's the problem, I just can't be messing around with boxes - maybe its an age thing. I use them as they are meant to be used, not spend hours tinkering.

Win 10 has been another. I have been putting off the upgrade to W10 (from W8.1) for ages due to the nigh on what seems constant stream of updates but lately that seemed to have slowed on the laptops. With the recent PC build (yeah, speed machine for sure) although it happily accepted my current Win 8.1 NVMe drive and updated nearly everything. On every boot I kept getting messages saying the CPU was not compatible with my OS! Er what?! Its running. Anyway did a few tests on a website and I got a fairly low (disappointing) score for the CPU.

Oh well, bit the bullet - it was going to happen anyway with the new MS flight sim coming soon. And you know what, you could have knocked me over with a feather upgrading to W10 from W8.1. Took all of 15 mins and sorted. Even the icons etc on my desktop were in the same positions. Rerun that test and it is blisteringly fast now and no incompatible messages. Being a multi core CPU I've started running Process Lasso and using the other cores instead of all the processes being spread over a couple. Certainly speeds things up, even online game initial loading.

Yes, I have turned off allow MS can have this and that. Ports though (whether open or closed) I have always set up in the router. Most come preset up anyway. Yes, you can set up individual devices but I think if it is done at router level, the buck really stops there, with any additional firewall on the device being just a back up.

As for that BIOS brick - maybe too late now, I had something similar years ago. Tried the short, take battery out etc but I found on one box that I had to leave the battery out all night. Put it back in the next day and it was working fine again.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno   So... now you are a "windows 10 " man... how is it running ?  do you still have to wait for it to configure updates after updating? and before you can start work in the morning when you boot up?

Just wondered,... cos I have not used Win10.. since the initial "upgrade" from Win7 Pro. which was not successful, from the point of view of the missing apps that i used, on Win7 that i used, were changed, removed or  needed to be applied again, or were not available anymore... ( probably cos Microsoft wanted a fee to use  them )..

Been a happy chappie with Linux Zorin15 and also Linux Mint 19.... still running windows progs too ! ! ... (on the Linux platform - not in a Virtual Box) .

Highlighted
Dabbler

I went from Windows 7 to Linux with KDE as the desktop as it functions most like Windows to me.  Never really had a problem with that, if anything, Windows 10 has stolen a lot of functionality that KDE had which Windows did not.

I don't really need to use any Windows software other than games though, and for that I still dual-boot as neither WINE nor a VM performs as well or stable.

The biggest learning curve I think was going from Paintshop Pro to GIMP, although Paintshop Pro DOES run fine in WINE.

Honestly if I never played games, I probably wouldn't bother with Windows at all, it has nothing I need.

That said, I've used Linux in some fashion since the dialup days where I had it as a router for the house.  I used to pop down to Plusnet and pay cash for the service as they didn't do debit cards for teens back then. (now I feel old)

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

An upgrade from Mint 19 to Mint 20 is available, which preserves your data.

Upgrade instructions at https://www.linuxtechi.com/how-to-upgrade-to-linux-mint-20-ulyana/ 

You can download a 2GB ISO file, put it on a USB key and boot from it, if you just want a trial run.

Alternatively, you can install a VM of Mint 20 on (for example) Mint 19.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote: So... now you are a "windows 10 " man... how is it running ?  do you still have to wait for it to configure updates after updating? and before you can start work in the morning when you boot up?

Its running fine. I know I've had my run ins with it over the years on the laptop with its constant updates but since I installed it on the PC, it just works. I still play around with Mint (Virtual Box) but even the W10 upgrade (ver 2004) that I knew was coming didn't take that long to install (20 minutes or so). No blue screens, no drama. Bit of a non event really. Nothing that would make me go over to Linux 100%. I'm definitely one of the 'if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it' brigade. 

Maybe I'll get around to checking to see what's new (just don't seem to have enough hours available) but my desktop, along with my strategically placed icons are exactly where they have been for years. Even the above mentioned laptop has now got Ver. 2004 installed. Again it just updated without any real issues. As I mentioned, it seems to be maturing. I still don't use Edge though (I haven't used a MS browser in years tbh) - maybe I should ....one day!

But the Windows download size (around 5Gb I think) will pale into comparison to the next expected download - MS Flight Sim 2020, just a cool 150Gb installed. Hopefully the download WILL be a tad smaller. 😂 I've already cleared space on one of the NVMe drives. It'll be interesting to see how W10 performs running that.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno Thanks for the comprehensive reply.... interestingly, it will not convince me to switch back to windows ! .. dunno what it is...but... I just like the way Linux has worked for me... Yeah.. it took me a long time to get here... and now I am "happy chappy".. i`ll stick with it..

gonna do the upgrade that "foxy" gave the link to.. so that will save me the hassle of a "new install".. It`s not the hassle of installing Linux Mint... but the hassle of installing all the other stuff,.. so.. pretty much the same as a "new install" of WIndows would be...

six of one... half a doz of the other... comes to mind..

Cheers  Smiley