Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your favorite DE

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Your favorite DE

Ok given my less than enjoyable venture into G3.2 (in Mint 12RC) I am looking for an alternative.  Shocked
I could stick with G2.x and M11 but prefer new releases of s/w.
I am currently playing with a M12 with LXDE installed to see how I get on - so I can have the new G3 s/w but a "normal" desktop.  Cheesy
9 REPLIES 9
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Your favorite DE

I voted for XFCE.
GNOME 3.2 seems to be much the same as 3.0 but with a load of "online accounts" junk added. Oh yeah, and nautilus now uses hard disk manufacturer units for file sizes etc. I don't think any of the developers care about them suddenly being different from every previous release, and other systems, and obviously you don't get a setting, the GNOME developers have decided you should use the proper units. Previous versions used 1024 based units but with the wrong abbreviation - they have fixed this by using 1000 based units, with the correct abbreviation.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I voted for Gnome 2.x - although Gnome 3.x isn't too bad, especially as bashed into shape in Mint.
Unity might be usable if I could buy a screen small enough.  Angry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

avatastic
Grafter

I've started to take to LXDE (which I mistook for Gnome 2 initially) with Lubuntu.
Getting a fully operational desktop with only a 2Gb footprint is a dream, especially for us eeepc 701 owners  Grin
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I voted for other, because you missed out ratpoison.
linux
Grafter

I have something of a mix-and-match desktop environment:
lightdm is the display manager.
openbox is the window manager.
fbpanel is the desktop panel.
VileReynard
Hero

My son accidental pressed the "Upgrade" button on Ubuntu.
After it completed, he came to me and said "Dad, I've broken my computer"  Grin Grin
After trying a few alternatives, we tried Xubuntu - and this appears to be much improved - almost as good as Gnome 2.4 and certainly no Unity c**p.
It was hard to get Java working though.

CX
Grafter

I'm still using Gnome 2.x. It has a few annoyances ("panels" moving around with different screen resolutions) but on the whole a better experience than Unity.
Unity would be more useful if there were more apps that could take advantage of the OS X-style shared menu bar.
DavidMcCann

I was trying a Gnome 3 distro the other day and I altered the desktop font. Unfortunately, I mistyped the name and hit return just as I realised it. Did it say "no such thing"? No. It set the non-existent font and all the characters on screen turned to blocks. Normally one could go to a virtual console and edit the configuration file, but Gnome 3's is machine code (registry envy!) so I had to delete it and reboot.
This afternoon I was trying a distro with KDE. As far as I could see, it couldn't change the size of the numbers in the clock. Also, to change the clock format you used, not the clock configuration tool, but locale configuration.
Use Xfce: the rest have all gone mad!
VileReynard
Hero

Tend to agree with you - upgrading to Mint from Ubuntu is definitely a non-trivial process, unless you have just a bog-standard configuration.