Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your IP Camera recommendations please.

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your IP Camera recommendations please.

I am looking for a wired IP camera that I can install in my garage that supports motion detection and remote viewing and if possible PoE. For the budget I’m looking to keep it under 170 but would go higher for a better specification.

Searching the internet is all very well but produces to many results to be of real use, but I know there is many a user here with IP cameras so thought I’d pick your brains first.

12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Your IP Camera recommendations please.

I use a Foscam F19826P.

It provides very satisfactory service and includes an optical zoom, pan and tilt.

I don't think it supports POE.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fix

Not sure if I am allowed to post direct links but I use the following from Amazon (£35) which works fine but no PoE

Vstarcam H.264 1280 x 720p Home Surveillance Camera Wireless IP Camera Built in Microphone with One Key WI-FI Configuration APP, Motion Detection, Remote Viewing Function, 3dBi WIFI Antenna,White

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for those guys, @PhyllisTyne's looks to be good value, and considering it's going to be sitting in the garage I could get two for the price of the price of the one @Strat recommends, and would allow me to have one at the front and rear for the same money. Didn't realise they were so cheap!

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Mine sits in the garage which is at least 10M from the house and works well. Mainly there for security for motorbike, etc but did spot my son raiding my beer stash whilst I was on holiday in Italy Grin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought one of the cheap cameras suggested by @PhyllisTyne and I now have it working on my desk, I just need to wait till the electricians been to get it installed in the garage. Also my QNAP has what it calls a ‘Surveillance Station’ package and with it it allows me to enable recording on motion detection, and provides a location to store the files, so quite happy so far.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had to reconfigure Surveillance Station on my NAS but it works really well.

Glad you went for the cheaper option as I feel that Foscam ones are a shade over-priced albeit good quality.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thinking of getting a Synology myself @mook to replace my microserver which is overkill now. Be interested to hear how it goes with recording and remote viewing.

PT

Anyone want a HP Proliant Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhyllisTyne - It's @Strat that has the Synology I have a QNAP, and I am not to sure how related they are, if at all.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I'm maybe getting confused. I thought surveillance station was a Synology product

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhyllisTyne - It maybe that they have more in common after all, as this is the product that I use.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Even without support for 'true' (standards compliant) PoE you can get very good results with a poor man's version of using a combiner/splitter (example). I've got a few installations using this method, each with what must be around 10-15m of cable, and never had any issues over several years.

EchoBeach

I have been amazed by this item, a Sinocam P2P: 76C985 that I got off eBay for £35. It is a great IP cam, it does Wi-Fi, email forwarding, ethernet, motion detect and good quality night vision, everything we could every want!

I set the cam up in my garden, powered from a car battery using the Wi-Fi link for the data. Then in the night when the "offender" arrived, I got emails with photos of the action on my laptop whilst in bed. The cam also allows live viewing on the internet and connection to phones. The night vision is very good, the inbuilt IR light/viewing is excellent. Great image resolution too, amazing value.

Ok now the not so good, it needed an OS update (there is a little linux server thing inside) and can be a hassle to set up but I think that's because the software package I got with the cam wasn't yet complete. So I contacted the eBay seller who was a person in China, they really did try to help, they sent me all the latest software, latest documents in fact I could not have wished for a better service.

And the offender? The poo on my lawns turns out to be a huge hedgehog, I now have photos to prove it.