Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your AVG Trial version is going to expire soon

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Your AVG Trial version is going to expire soon

this morning a very large banner appeared on the screen here saying "Your AVG Trial version is going to expire soon".  The "x" top right of the screen doesn't work to remove it.
The version used here (for several years now) has been "AVG Free" (not the trial version of the payable AVG software).  As far as I was aware AVG Free updates itself fairly automatically, so I wondered if AVG has changed the way it operates, somehow?
Just thought I'd ask here before doing anything further : /

Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Your AVG Trial version is going to expire soon

AVG tries to steer you away from its free version towards a paid version.  They have done that for many years.  I think this ploy is that they update you to a trial of their paid version which you then have to jump though hoops to opt out of.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ReedRichards
I think this ploy is that they update you to a trial of their paid version which you then have to jump though hoops to opt out of.

Appreciate the reply, and thanks Smiley
... so if the AVG Free here has somehow been upgraded to the trial of the paid version, will re-downloading AVG Free sort that, would you think?
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You have probably downloaded the Trial version by (devious) error....  what I would do is to go to the AVG FREE download site.... be careful that you are not looking at a "FREE DOWNLOAD"  and download AVG FREE Version....
Make sure you read the words on screen about which version you are downloading.... the default may be in a GREEN box... like... "CLICK ME".. and that is where you get the (devious) downloaded trial version.... the actual FREE version may be grey`d out...
Also some sites show it with about three versions in columns... with various "options" in each column according to a menu on the left side....
Scroll down the page and you get the option to download the "FREE" version as opposed to the trial or paid for versions..

Then... Uninstall the copy you have...from your downloads folder...  ( if you still have your old version listed..... delete it first, to make sure you are installing the latest one )...  and re-install the new download...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Penny

... so if the AVG Free here has somehow been upgraded to the trial of the paid version, will re-downloading AVG Free sort that, would you think?

You may find that if you attempt to uninstall your trial version you will be offered the opportunity to convert to the free version instead.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: shutter
Make sure you read the words on screen about which version you are downloading.... the default may be in a GREEN box... like... "CLICK ME".. and that is where you get the (devious) downloaded trial version.... the actual FREE version may be grey`d out...

thanks shutter - however have looked down the page at http://www.avg.com/ww-en/free-antivirus-protection and they're all green (aside from pro), and they all say download : /
Then... Uninstall the copy you have...from your downloads folder...  ( if you still have your old version listed..... delete it first, to make sure you are installing the latest one )...  and re-install the new download

... think I might start there, then, at least, removing any AVG downloads from the downloads folder, or do I need to uninstall AVG first?
Quote from: ReedRichards
You may find that if you attempt to uninstall your trial version you will be offered the opportunity to convert to the free version instead.

... well that would be good Smiley
so I might try (a) deleting any/all AVG downloads, then (b) going to remove-programs and uninstalling whatever is the current AVG version, to see if I do get that option, I guess.  thanks again.
shutter
Community Veteran

When you get to the download page.. ( on CNET ).. you should see a box like this one....
check to make sure yours is the same file name....
Click on "save file"... it should then be on your download folder ..... proceed from there...
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

When you get to the download page.. ( on CNET ).. you should see a box like this one....
check to make sure yours is the same file name....

thank you for that Smiley  immensely helpful, and that filename didn't match several download options I tried.
just (successfully I think) downloaded and installed AVG Free 2015.  For the benefit of anyone else who finds such things somewhat challenging, below is the sequence that was followed.
First went to remove-programs and uninstalled the previous AVG Free (had recalled in the interim that the original install was via the downloaded .exe file, so left that in place while the uninstall was done).
Then deleted the old .exe file from downloads, and cleared the recycle bin folder to remove more-completely from PC.
Then went to http://www.cnet.com/uk , selected "download" in top tabs, which got me to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ , where clicked on "security and antivirus center" which led to http://download.cnet.com/security-center .
No sign of AVG Free 2015 (there was a google-ad for AVG but I think this was the paid version) so put AVG Free in search box and this led to http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?searchtype=downloads&platform=Windows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroi... , with AVG Free 2015 listed (554 million downloads).
And that one was indeed the file you kindly highlighted  Cool  the install itself seemed straightforward, chose "basic" of the two options offered, to avoid the "trial", but even though choosing "custom" rather than "default" install there was no sign of a toolbar option (in the end selected all four options of those offered, which I think were e-mail, identity, languages and web, nothing significant on the drop-downs) and the installation started to happen immediately afterwards.  I was somewhat wary that I'd somehow agreed to a toolbar but it didn't happen, so maybe things have changed since the last time (very long ago it seems) that I installed AVG Free.
Anyway thanks to both of you for the insights, am *very* glad this is sorted now Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Glad to know you got it sorted....
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i used avg for years but switched to avast FREE Smiley i must say what a great antivirus program which also can test your network and also checks for programs on your pc that are out dated and it will also offer to update them for you if you wish.
You should consider switching, all you need to do is register with your email to get the Free program Smiley Ive noticed avast uses less resources that avg does. I also would advise people to stay clear of cnet it once was a great place to get downloads but now most downloads are full of third party [Censored] which can be hidden in the cnet download program.
Avast >> https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: St3
i used avg for years but switched to avast FREE Smiley i must say what a great antivirus program which also can test your network and also checks for programs on your pc that are out dated and it will also offer to update them for you if you wish.

Thanks for that Smiley  will bear in mind for future reference.  The direct link of where to get it from is also appreciated.
Re cnet (same as download.com?), must admit I've experienced similar issues in the past with "more than expected" sometimes being part of the package.  I always do the "custom install" rather than the default, but it's not always easy to be certain exactly what you're getting.  Software that people recommend, alongside dedicated download-addresses, is probably the only thing I'd trust more completely, these days : /
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i posted a link to avast at the bottom of my post, also cnet is download.com :0)