cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouView

reserved
Grafter

YouView

I understand that PN is carrying out trials with Youview.
If they are successful and it's available to its customers, do you still need an aerial or does the TV signal come over the Openreach network with the broadband?
I ask because although I live in a town, TV reception is almost impossible via aerial or sat. dish due to trees!!
11 REPLIES 11
picbits
Rising Star

Re: YouView

Allegedly some signals for a few channels comes over multicast streaming but the majority of channels still come through DVB-T / DVB-T2 (i.e. Freeview through your aerial).
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Youview is still predominantly aerial based.  Only channels that are not available via Freeview DTT transmissions and the various catch up services are delivered via broadband.
AndyH
Grafter

@ reserved - is there no direct view of the sky on the southern side of your house? Is fairly rare to not be able to get Freesat/Sky because of trees.
reserved
Grafter

@ AndyH  -  No, my neighbour & I have both had aerial/dish companies trying but with no success.
Now the leaves are on the trees the freeview signal via aerial is poor.
AndyH
Grafter

They must be some very tall trees! We're about 20m from some trees which are 30m or so high - I have a 1m dish about 2m off the ground picking up 4 satellites with perfect signal.
I would imagine that you'll be able to get all the channels via multicast at some point in the future.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: reserved
Now the leaves are on the trees the freeview signal via aerial is poor.

He's suggesting Freesat via a dish not FreeView via an aerial!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No, read the first post.  Wink
Our FreeView (land-based transmitter) signal is heavily compromised by weather and tree foliage, which is why we also have FreeSat (2 boxes, quad LNB).
FWIW I actually have 2 YouView boxes in use as well, and they are definitely NOT satellite-based.
DomS is correct; Youview boxes can also receive some Internet channels, depending on your ISP and what services you subscribe to.  Wink
ffox
Pro

The news that the free-to-air broadcasters are planning an Internet TV service may cause a rethink everywhere:
http://tinyurl.com/qgagahj

TORPC
Grafter

Thanks ffox Smiley
The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 remain equity shareholders in YouView but have with drawn most of their funding, while BT and TalkTalk have pumped more money in. With Freeview Connect the broadcasters will now bankroll a venture that will target many of the same households.

As MackyD says I'm loving it Cheesy
godsell4
Rising Star

Not surprised by this announcement, Youview has not turned out as described, no access to Lovefilm or Netflix. If they adopt the standards used by HbbTV, this could happen fairly quickly.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Things are not going so well for YouView.  The brand name has been found to be too similar to someone else's and they may have to stop using it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27868705