cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have been denied access to this folder [Solved]

Mav
Fixes: 514

You have been denied access to this folder [Solved]

Suddenly I have been denied access to lots of folders within a subfolder on an external 1TB drive. I get the above error with the option to 'Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.' or Cancel.
Selecting the former I then get 'You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab.
I click on the security tab link and the only option is Advanced. Clicking that brings up the permissions tab which contains the message; 'You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings'.
It's at this point I'm stumped.
Running W7 32 bit. Don't remember making any changes to the offending folder that contyains all the subfolders although I may have tried to set it to be shared across the network a while ago but am not sure. Clicking on the folder's Properties under Sharing it does say Not Shared, though, - so maybe not.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how to access all the subfolders? Thousands of files I cannot access  Cry
Edit: I only have the one Administrator account and the UAC is set Never to notify.
Edit 2: I notice some of the the lowest level folder (e.g. K:\Photos\2009\holiday\Zoo has this message under security:
'No groups or users have permission to access this object. However, the owner of this object can assign permissions.' These also have a padlock added.
Some just indiacte I don't have permission while others are fine and I can open and view OK.
Edit 3: Phew, panic over - for now.
Found this Which seems to have solved it although I am now left with lots of folders with the padlock icon. I can access OK at mo so will look into that later.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still