cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Tube Videos

penneck
Aspiring Pro

You Tube Videos

A few years ago I downloaded some music videos from YouTube (hopefully that's not illegal). Some of these videos now run at about twice the correct speed - don't know why. Certainly they run too fast. I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to recover these videos, please.
Also, now when I try to download videos, I cannot do it. Have they somehow managed to lock down these videos? Has my software (whatever I used - Realplayer Free, I think) been updated so it no longer allows me to do that? Can someone recommend software that would allow me to continue to download (legally of course)
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: You Tube Videos

Winamp tends to play stuff at silly slow speeds video wise. Try that for a laugh you might get lucky and find it plays them properly!
No idea about the video downloads but try keepvid.com Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CX
Grafter

JDownloader can handle YouTube videos (although it can't handle the DASH streams - which means maximum 720p at the moment).
youtube-dl is another option, if you don't mind the command line. I use a combination of youtube-dl to get the DASH audio and video streams, before muxing them back together with MP4Box.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you have Firefox....... look in Tools > add-ons  there are several.... you can also use  AtubeCatcher  ( free)  it also has a video converter and other features... you can specifiy the "download" folder or other location and also the type of file you wish it to be downloaded/converted to...
I use GOM player which can handle most file types .... to play videos
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: penneck
A few years ago I downloaded some music videos from YouTube (hopefully that's not illegal).

With my pedant's hat on yes it is
It is a breach of Youtube's T&C in that you are only allowed to stream videos, quite apart from whether the videos' themselves are copyrighted.

"You agree not to access Content for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.
"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Whoops! When I get out of jail, I'll remove the YouTube videos Grin
I use Gom Player, and the video is fast on that. I've gone back to RealPlayer, but that didn't help. Some videos are fine, its just a few that are a problem
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

I do hope you have got the copyright on that Strat  Roll_eyes ............otherwise you could be in jail yourself  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a spare just in case Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have got flv files from Youknowwho, and they play correctly, and flv files from the same place, and they run fast. I have flv files from other sources, and some of them have the same problem.
I've tried runing them on Gom, and Realplayer. That makes no difference either.
Shutter, may I have that other Get-out-of-jail-free card too please. I get the feeling I'm going to need a few
shutter
Community Veteran

You`ll have to speak to Stat, about getting out of jail....  Cheesy
Mav
Fixes: 515

Two other players to try are Splash Player Lite and Wondershare Player
I use these when VLC and GOM fail to play specific file videos.
Another suggestion when using VLC is to go to the Audio dropdown menu and if there is another audio track listed try that.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Aspiring Pro

The Real Downloader that I have, has a Preference Setting which is supposed to show a "Download This Video" icon when I move the mouse across the video, but this doesn't work, at least the icon doesn't appear. Does anyone know what could be stopping it? Could Zone Alarm be stopping it even though the Real Downloader settings in Zone Alarm are all '?' ?
penneck
Aspiring Pro

HEEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!
I tried loading Splash Player Lite to solve my video speed problem, but I didn't like the extra add-ons it was putting, so I cancelled it. I then went into Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, and uninstalled these add-ons. Now  when I reboot, it comes up with "NTLDR is missing Press Cntl Alt Del".
I have booted up from my XP CD, and gone into Repair. I have got past Enter Administrator Password, to where the screen says C:\windows, but when I type in "copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\", it replies Access Denied.
Any suggestions?
Mav
Fixes: 515

I'm really sorry about that, penneck.
I never had a problem like that when I installed Splash Player Lite. I certainly don't remember it attempting to install lots of junk, either, as I would not have continued with the installation myself. Maybe things have changed as I installed it November 2011.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still