Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Bit Torrent site attacked

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Yet another Bit Torrent site attacked

http://www.demonoid.com/ has been recently prevented by the Canadians...
Demonoid's site now just reads
"The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding."
Since there was no copyright data on Demonoid's site the Canadian record industry felt it was OK to threaten the service suppliers...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

4 REPLIES 4
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: Yet another Bit Torrent site attacked

So your saying that the only things on there were unsigned bands and software writers who had not yet got any copyright and were happy to give their stuff away?
I find that hard to believe to be honest - if there were programs music and movies being shared then good on the record companys i say.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Pcoventry
So your saying that the only things on there were unsigned bands and software writers who had not yet got any copyright and were happy to give their stuff away?

So it's quite OK to shut down something that included torrents which point to perfectly legal sources? Quite apart drom the fact that the site hosted no illegal material itself? That's why the site could only be closed down by putting the frighteners on the server hosting company.

pcoventry76
Grafter

In my view it depends, if the software was legal then no they are wrong, but if the site didn't host illegal material, what if it hosted trackers to get that material? and what if that material was illegal?
It's an area that could, i'm sure, be discussed till the cows come home
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Pcoventry
It's an area that could, i'm sure, be discussed till the cows come home

I agree.