Pro
Fixes: 2

Xp, Silly question re: Vista

This may well be the daftest question of the year, but here goes
My new PC runs Vista Home Premium
My wifes Laptop runs Vista Home Basic
My laptop runs Xp Home.
That's the easy bit:
When I set up my new PC for the first time I had and took the one-off opportunity to make back-up/restore disks of Vista Home Premium
Could I use those disks to upgrade my Laptops' Xp to Vista? Guess I'll be inundated with replies questioning my sanity for even thinking about such a move. But my question is "Can I" not I want to do it at all costs, I'm just curious!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Xp, Silly question re: Vista

I don't think this is possible as the restore disks (as far as I know) will have taken a snapshot of the OS as it is installed on the laptop. There's nothing stopping you putting the restore disk into the PC and checking though, I suspect it just won't offer you the option to upgrade.
Hope that helps,
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks guy's, as I implied it was largely a hypothetical question. So by the same token, can I assume that the same applies to my wifes laptop Toshiba supplied disk?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
retep
Grafter

You can't run 1 copy of your Vista Premium license on more than 1 machine. If you tried it, I think it likely that this would be noticed by Microsoft and perhaps cause you problems on all machines.
Beware of upgrading older hardware to Vista anyway, the hardware on your XP PC and even the Vista Basic laptop may not support Vista Premium. Also Vista premium needs at least 1Gb of memory but I would recommend 2Gb and a PCI-express video card.