cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP vs BenQ 955A 19" Display.

colintivy
Rising Star

XP vs BenQ 955A 19" Display.

My XP Tower has been using a 17" BenQ LCD Flat screen very satisfactorily for more years than I can contemplate.Recently it suffered a "blank display" syndrome which was diagnosed by the local shop as TERMINAL! I guessed that it did not owe me anything so bought a new widescreen LCD from him, which was the nearest equivalent replacement now made.It installed itself using its own CD and fired up quite well. The downside is that the display is stretched horizontally so that circles are stretched  more than a bit and some of the display goes off the right hand side. There is some help on the CD for setting the resolution but this expects an OS no earlier than Vista. Consequently the adjustments are not like XP. and anyway they do not work. I have tried to instal the appropriate driver from the CD manually but it seems not to do so.I also tried Windows Driver Manager which was no use either.
I have tried the Support at BenQ which is singularly unhelpful (unless I want to buy another display!)
Are there any experiences out there that could assist?
Ever in hope!
Roll_eyes
35 REPLIES 35
picbits
Rising Star

Re: XP vs BenQ 955A 19" Display.

You may need to see if there is an updated driver for your graphics card as ulitmately it is this that sets the aspect ratio of the signal coming out of the back of it.
Update the driver to the latest version, right click on a blank bit of desktop, go to properties, screen resolution and set it to the highest resolution available.
If you can't update this then you may need a lower resolution with the correct aspect ratio but the text will look a bit blurred if it's not in it's native resolution
colintivy
Rising Star

;)Thanks Dom,
I thought that would be the route. I have not found yet what the graphics are actually in use because they are a part of the motherboard. I might try the Dell site to see if they can specify the identity etc.,
As it is the display is quite good in quality but not in geography!
I will post again if nothing is forthcoming. 
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Post your motherboard details and we may have an idea.
In the meantime does this help - you need to set the screen resolution to match the monitor and if it doesn't support widescreen then either a new driver or a new graphics card (they are very cheap)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen...
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I had this issue a while back when I still used M$ products. The onboard video driver can't handle the new resolution and so limits itself to its max. Your new monitor may be like mine 1440x900 and the closest the onboard could do was 1280x800.
A new graphics card is probably the only way to get a decent pic.
picbits
Rising Star

However if you do end up going for a new graphics card, make sure it supports Windows XP !!!
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks all.
The graphics are on the Dell  motherboard and are Intel 82810E which is a bit of a hick-up! I got a download which looked useful, downloaded it (Win2K_xpe66.exe) using Hardware Helper only to find that it was not the latest for the graphics which is what was asked for, so I did not instal it. Clearly it is not a case of getting a new graphics card.
I note that my circumstance is similar to HB in that the resolution of the display is 1440 x 900., the display actually says that the optimum should be 1366 x 768 in a brief pop-up while booting up but no indication on how to get it.
Going round the obvious route of selecting display properties/settings gives the usual display but the resolution slider is at minimum (800 x 600 pixels) and will not budge! I have not found a way round this.
The display adjustments are extremely sparse, only referring to the board driver update. There is Auto adjustment which seems not to make any difference. All I need to do is to shrink the width a bit and perhaps the height to get a full display.
More exploring needed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can get it here http://intel-r-82810e-graphics-controller.soft32.com/ or or here
However I think you have had it http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/sb/CS-009122.htm
It doesn't support the resolution you want
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Jim,
I have discovered a control on the edge of the display which allows me to toggle it to two aspects, one for widescreen and one that looks rather like my old 17" display with black borders on each side of the display area. The icons with circles look round but I still have lost some of the RHS of a full screen display. I can get at some things there when a use the scroll tab when provided and, I suppose could live with that if I have to.It would be nice to clear that bit up.
CX
Grafter

The only way you're ever going to get it displaying 100% correctly is if the graphics card is outputting 1366x768. Failing that, at best, you might be able to coax it into outputting 1024x768 and then putting up with pillarboxing (using the aspect ratio toggle you mentioned).
If you put in a newer graphics card, you would get 1366x768. Unfortunately, the i810 chipset doesn't support AGP slots, so you would need to go for a PCI (32-bit PCI, NOT PCI Express) graphics card, of which the choice is extremely limited. You might be able to find a GeForce 6200 on the PCI bus which should do the job, but again, be careful that it's not AGP or PCI Express.
Something such as this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Club-3D-Geforce-6200-128MB-DVI-PCI-Graphics-Card-/121073573254?pt=UK_Compu...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I encounter this problem every so often when visiting clients.  Some older graphics cards/chips simply are not capable of a resolution that matches the new widescreen monitors.  If you can manage the correct aspect ratio with blank margins each side of the image then you are doing quite well.   
colintivy
Rising Star

Jim's  third reference indicates that the Intel Graphics Controller does support a range of resolutions as well as 800x600, including 1024x768, 1152x864 & 1280x1024 all at a rate of 75Hz.. I only want to shrink the display by a bit so am not fussy about the exact figures. It has been suggested that there could be a glitch in the driver making the system fall back to a basic value which is not variable. I have tried to update the driver but was only offered one older than the one that seems to be on board. I may try to download  a replacement for the apparent existing one and see if that makes a difference.
The Aspect display is very close to what I want but it still looses a significant amount of image at the right hand edge which is difficult to see unless there is a scroll bar at the bottom.
Any more views?
CX
Grafter

You might be able to use Powerstrip to override the resolutions supported by the i810. The problem is that when the i810 was conceived in the late 90s, nobody used 1366x768 resolution.
Try 1360x768@60Hz, 1366x768@60Hz and 1368x768@60Hz. 1366 might not be a possibility at all on certain older graphics adapters due to not being a multiple of 8.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi  CX!
That all looks interesting, I note that your reference to the GeForce 6200 has a picture of one. I assume that the card itself will go into a spare PCI slot but where would the flying lead with a plug on the end plug into?

A query to the Dell Forum tells me that I do not have an Intel 810 Series Integrated video driver PV 5.1.1 kit 3140. A01 loaded. This is for Win2000, would XP Prof cope with this?
Not heard of Powerstrip, I will Google/investigate.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi CX
Found and downloaded PowerStrip, it has just rebooted the Dell and I will examine what it can do.
On the subject of drivers,I have looked for any files with "driver" in their name and cannot find any that look like the Intel ones. The Display Properties admits that the correct  Intel Controller is there. I used Hardware helper to look for missing/out of date drivers and it found that this was the case. Downloaded what was said to be the latest but when I got to the point of installation, a pop-up came up asking if I wished to instal an older version. I declined. Local advice is that Hardware Helper is not a reliable program and is to be avoided. I have deleted it.
I do not find any driver files listed as Intel ones on the machine so I think that some of the relevant folders are hidden. How can I dig deeper to see what is or is not there and, if I do download a driver, where do I store it so that the graphics bit can use it?