cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP: user account without internet access?

hatchwarren
Dabbler

XP: user account without internet access?

We have a shared PC running XP Home, currently with three user accounts on it - one for me (with admin rights) and one for each of my younger sons (without). What I'd now like to do is create user accounts for some younger children my wife looks after - but I don't want those accounts to have internet access. Is there a straightforward way to arrange this?
Many thanks,
Steve
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: XP: user account without internet access?

Assuming they are supervised and very young, just delete the shortcuts to Firefox and IE and other internet stuff.
Should slow them down.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

What will they be using ie games that may connect to the Internet? 
You could remove the network cable.
In there profile disable the network in that profile from device manager.
Set the Internet to connect via a proxy that doesnt exist.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You could always setup ICS on another computer and run nat32 on it. The the kids won't be able to connect without a valid username and password but everyone else will Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

This can be achieved on Vista IIRC, otherwise you will need to get some parental control software or find a Linux proxy server to run on a old PC. Local Policies will need to be set to force IE to us the proxy server, Firefox will need to be set manually if installed.
Lurker
Grafter

The most straightforward might be to ditch DHCP on the router, and set your machine to use a static IP address.
Then create an entry in the routing table on your router to direct all traffic to nowhere 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 for example when received from the fixed IP you chose for your computer.
Then create a startup script file to change the IP address when you log on with your account (and your wifes account etc) and similarly a logoff script file to reset it to the restricted IP address when you log off.
It would take most people quite some time to figure out why they couldn't get web access, and if you chose you could create a local policy to prevent non-admin accounts from changing the IP address, and write the scripts to run with elevated permissions, with NTFS permissions preventing other user accounts from reading the location of the scripts.
Clearly you need to use password on your accounts too - otherwise the entire exercise is wasted. Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Assuming they are supervised and very young, just delete the shortcuts to Firefox and IE and other internet stuff.

I would have thought that would have been fine ( especailly if you do the Start Menu's as well for each of the accounts.)
You can use the Policy Editor on XP to completely lock down accounts so only very limited things can be run BUT it aint simple!! 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.