Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP to Vista

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

XP to Vista

Can I transfer by whatever means: from my existing PC (while I still have it in my possession) running XP Home to my new PC which runs Vista Home Premium, by email attachment or CD-R my existing email (from OE or the default Thunderbird) address books and my existing Bookmarks (from IE or the default Firefox)? Whichever will work best, the data is currently the same on the MS and Mozilla products.
PS. shushhhhhh! but so far I've had no trouble with Vista....is this a record!! 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: XP to Vista

Yes.
Under the File menu there should be an option to "Import/Export" (can't remeber where in Firefox/TB as I'm not on my home PC) but in IE it's File>Import and Export and a Wizard should run.
IIRC in TB you've got to go into your address book to export the contents.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For Firefox I use FEBE to back up my data occasionally - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109
dhookham
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
FAST?
(Files And Settings Transfer)

If I was only wanting to move OE data, I'd recommend something like OEbackup. Similarly if it were just any other single application.
Anything more than that, Vista's Easy Transfer is leaps ahead of what XP's ropey FAST ever was.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
grimme
Grafter

For Thunderbird there are a couple of add-ons, one of which I can remember called Smartsave,  that can export/import data.