cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP sp3

samuria
Grafter

XP sp3

Just a few points about xp sp3 it seems first of all if you have hacked the maximum connections from 10 to a higher number xp3 resets it back to 10 so you need to rehack it but the old hack  doesnt work. I have put it on my site
http://www.janwright.co.uk/tcip.zip.
Secondly if you are using themes you may well find they dont work either things like style xp refuse to work all together even with the latest version. You will need to replace uxtheme.dll
in order to get themes working again the old patcher isnt working. I have a patch and new uxtheme.dll
PM me if you need it.
Good old Bill
33 REPLIES 33
paulh
Rising Star

Re: XP sp3

[quote="samuria"]you need to rehack it but the old hack  doesnt work. I have put it on my site
http://www.janwright.co.uk/tcip.zip.
um you've put the old hack on your site?
as I recall this needed a small registry adjustment, so what do the executables in the zip you are linking to do? And where did they come from? Is it a trusted source?
samuria
Grafter

The files are from well known http://www.lvllord.de/ and it patchs tcip.sys its been around a  long time just that its a new version for sp3. Anyone using PTP will have used it or you only get 10 connections.
I have used it on my system with no problems but as with everything in life you must make your own choice 10 connections or use the patch.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just to clarify... it is a max of 10 concurrent TCP connection attempts at the same time, not just 10 TCP connections. XP can handle hundreds of TCP connections.
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I've just updated to SP3 via the update site and everything seems fine, but Defender has noted 2 changes, both appear to open ports (2869 and 1900)  is it ok to permit the change?
John
samuria
Grafter

those port are normally MSN and UPnP which should be safe its worth checking that nothing else is using these port with the free util from  MS
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx
any program can use any port but normally these ports are safe though there is some argument about UPNP
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Samuria.  I have UPnP  turned off, and I don't use MSN, so I may even deny the changes.
John
holdtight
Grafter

If you deny the changes its very easy to find out whats using these ports and open them again should you have
any kind of issues afterwards
Ive also got upnp disabled and dont use MSN and had no issues defender wise after the SP3 install on my main mahine
Many other issues with SP3 on other machines but thats a different story  Roll_eyes
John_Essex
Grafter

Tried Service pack 3 a couple of days ago but it made a complete hash of the wireless link to my router.  Angry
Even re-insalling the wireless software didn't cure it so I've gone back to Service pack 2 and everything works again.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

MSN Update seems very devious, had a look at the site but cant see any obvious way to switch off auto update, looking at the comments I think I will give sp3 a miss for now, but how?  Lips_are_sealed Angry Sad
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
cant see any obvious way to switch off auto update

Control panel then System icon followed by auto update tab
Select turn of option  Wink
paulh
Rising Star

that will block all updates of course John as well u kno.
if you only want to block service packs have a look here
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: John_Essex
Tried Service pack 3 a couple of days ago but it made a complete hash of the wireless link to my router.  Angry

I had a post-SP3 oddity with wireless. Carried forward settings were slightly wrong.
Tried to sort it out, played around for ages with assorted parameters.
Deleting the connection and re-establishing it automatically did the trick.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

As documented elsewhere in this forum I also had problems when first trying to install SP3, but using the ISO download and progressing methodically brought success. Here is the check list I used:-
- download SP3 ISO from MS website and burn to CD
- do full backup of C Drive to secure location
- uninstall IE7 if this is not your main browser
- uninstall any other software no longer used
- run registry cleaner (such as CCleaner)
- disconnect from internet
- disable AV software and any non-MS firewall
- install SP3 from ISO CD
- enable AV software and any non-MS firewall
- defrag C Drive
- uncross fingers
In respect of wireless connections, I was experiencing problems with this on SP2 and hoped that SP3 would make it better. It didn't, the same problems came back - although it was still usable. I have now reverted to a wired connection to the router.
Cliff
hulls
Grafter

I seem to be the odd one out here.  I installed SP3 from the windows update site with no problems at all. Smiley