Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP just won't die gracefully

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

XP just won't die gracefully

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/02/windows_8_v_windows_xp_july_data/
But a disturbing fact for everybody else is that Windows XP - enjoying second place in the stats - had a minor resurgence during July. Net Applications found XP, first released in 2001, clawed back 37.19 of the market versus 37.17 in the month before, pausing its long-term downward trend towards its demise. Many companies moving off Windows XP are going to Windows 7, the number one most used desktop OS, and Net Applications found version 7’s use up by 0.12 points on June.
23 REPLIES 23
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: XP just won't die gracefully

I'm not surprised really. It must be said, XP was a very good system considering it came from MS. I do prefer Win7 to be honest (and thats just home premium) as it is incredibly stable but XP was also pretty solid too.
I still have XP on a spare machine and on the netbook, I'm more than happy to continue using it too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have XP on a spare machine - which should work when I put the memory back in even though the motherboard fan makes a lot of noise
It isn't worth cannibalising bits from it so it just sits on the shelf
Now the other machine - used by my better half - also runs very happily on XP and I suppose I could just about upgrade it to Win 7 except it really hasn't enough memory for that and the motherboard won't take any more.
I did vaguely look at Win 8 for when/if I have to rebuild it but then one of her favourite programs (Photoshop CS2) won't work and buying the later version is stupidly expensive and Gimp even now isn't as good in my opinion
Having just read this http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/334097/free-download-adobe-creative-suite-cs2-photoshop-or... it looks as though it may be possible
CX
Grafter

We still have one XP desktop in the house, used daily.
It would maybe have been upgraded to Windows 7 had it not been for the fact that it has an nForce2 chipset which doesn't have any official support (no nVidia Ethernet drivers available, and no AGP support for the graphics). Admittedly, I didn't try it, but since it is running so nicely on XP (has never been wiped since 2004 and still performs well), I didn't want to mess around with it too much. The only trouble it has ever given was when a stick of RAM failed. Replaced that and back to being rock solid.
colintivy
Rising Star

I have Win 7 Premium on my laptop which does seem to be reasonably stable but I do have an old Dell OptiPlex GX110 (built like a tank) as a reliable alternative. I have trouble with it at the moment with a widescreen BenQ 19" display which the built-in graphics cannot cope with. I have tried a Promise Ultra100 graphics card in the expansion slot but am not able to get it going. I have the nVidia disk with XP drivers on it but they seem to need another driver as well. Any ideas out there?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

W7 64 bit on the main PC.
XP Pro on a laptop and
Mint on another laptop.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

must admit i have win7 64 , and detested win 8 on my laptop so i bought another win 7 CD for it  Wink
Win 8 is pants i havent heard a good report from anyone i know who has it , in fact i have had more requests to remove it and replace with win 7  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Still running XP Professional at work - no reason to 'upgrade' it, possible incompatibilities if I do so 'sticking with what works' for as long as possible.
Any future upgrade would likely be to Windows 7 Pro, NOT Windows 8 (unless Windows 9 or 10 prove to be 'worthwhile').
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: colintivy
I do have an old Dell OptiPlex GX110 (built like a tank) as a reliable alternative. I have trouble with it at the moment with a widescreen BenQ 19" display

lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
colintivy
Rising Star

This was forced upon me by the demise of a 17" BenQ flat screen which had been excellent; the cause, a severe attack of antiquity which could not be repaired due to obsolescence of the display board. The original Dell graphics on the motherboard can only allow a very limited (800x600 pixels) resolution and I have been recommended to install a Promise Ultra 100 graphics card to extend things. This i have done and tried to instal  the nVIDIA drivers from its CD but it seems that some other drivers are still required. Does anyone know what or where?
MOD if this ought to be on another thread please advise.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There may be a setting in BIOS to select whether the onboard or add-on graphics are used.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
redsetter
Grafter

lots are still using xp,and companies' too. I am still using it and find it does what i want.why should anyone have to pay out large amounts of money for an operating system they don't want or need.
the latest versions of windows demand huge amounts of capacity in hardware terms. with a new pc its only likely to have a silly recovery partition that could fail at anytime despite paying for the software.i took vista off and used my xp professional disk when i got this.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could check out the hardware by booting up a Linux DVD (not as an install).
See what kind of video capabilities you get.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

CX
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
I have been recommended to install a Promise Ultra 100 graphics card to extend things.

The Promise Ultra 100 is an IDE/ATA controller, for connecting up hard drives, CD and DVD drives. It doesn't handle graphics.
thejudge
Rising Star

My (now) secondary rig runs XP Pro, and it has been brilliantly stable; only one BSOD in nearly six years, and that was due to bolshie video capture software.
My current main rig (8 months old) is W7 Pro, and I'm impressed with it (once I'd disabled all the eye-candy, of course).