cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP file count different for identical copies?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

XP file count different for identical copies?

Hi
I've copied over my files from my main PC onto he netbook.
The netbook is now saying that the directory I've copied has 26,825 files.
The main desktop PC says that it has 27,084 files.
I've looked at a third of the folders properties in the main folder and I've noticed that some on the main machine will say that they've got one extra file than they really have - EG it will report 11 files in the folder when there are only 10.
The netbook will report just 10 files in the same folder yet will still contain just 10.
I've looked at the folder options, show hidden files and show system files are both the same. I'm stumped!
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: XP file count different for identical copies?

Quote from: okrzynska
I've looked at the folder options, show hidden files and show system files are both the same. I'm stumped!

If you mean by this that both computers have the Windows default setting NOT to show hidden files and NOT to show system files then such files will not have been copied to your netbook,.  I presume the discrepancy is because the folder properties reports the total number of files including the ones you have hidden.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

No I set the explorer on both machines to show all files. Sorry I couldn't remember the exact name of each setting so it was just easier to say they're the same Wink
No hidden files..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If they are pictures it might be the file thumbs.db which is produced in each folder when you have the view option set to thumbnails.