Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP emails to Vista Home Premium

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

XP emails to Vista Home Premium

I have a new laptop, which is running Vista Home Premium..... and "windows mail".....  I would like to transfer old emails from my XP hard drive to my new laptop.....  I managed to get the address book/contacts transferred, but I cannot find a location where the actual emails are stored  on the XP hard drive, .... can anyone enlighten me please?
I have the XP hard drive in a USB caddy, so it shows as "Removable Drive F:\ ...
15 REPLIES 15
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: XP emails to Vista Home Premium

What email program were you using on XP?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you use IMAP or POP3 for email collection?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
samuria
Grafter

Most email application either offer an export or backup. You can export to eml files which will import to most mail clients but we do need to know your old client
HPsauce
Pro

Windows Mail has a simple and effective import, we probably just need an answer to the question:
What email program were you using on XP?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on my machine it is stored here C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9C051740-8CDF-4187-A161-C3EBC0F05CBA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
I take it each user has their own folder
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for replies..... On the XP hard drive, I have found the folder Pierre located... and there are a load of  .dbx files in there, which look like the emails I want to transfer to  my Vista Windows Mail.....
I used the File > Import> Messages  (on the windows mail ) and followed the instructions, and the emails have successfully been transferred.....
(I did need to know the location that Pierre gave, to be able to direct the "import" tool to work properly.)
Thank you all for your help.  As usual, Much Appreciated..
Gerry

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: shutter
there are a load of  .dbx files in there

If you'd answered the questions or said it was Outlook Express you'd have been told that ages ago.... Roll_eyes
(we're not mind-readers here you know  Wink )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well to be fair he did nearly say 

I have a new laptop, which is running Vista Home Premium..... and "windows mail".....  I would like to transfer old emails from my XP hard drive to my new laptop...
I have the XP hard drive in a USB caddy, so it shows as "Removable Drive F:\ ...

and a wonderful lot of odd leads
shutter
Community Veteran

If I had stayed up all night, I might have answered the questions, BUT.... as Pierre has intimated.... there were enough clues..... I don`t think that XP runs windows mail, so therefore, ipso facto, it would more than likely have been Outlook Express. !!
I only put in the bit about finding the folder with the dbx files as "extra information",.......
My basic question was about the "location" of the emails,.........

but I cannot find a location where the actual emails are stored  on the XP hard drive, .... can anyone enlighten me please?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Pierre took an educated guess and happened to be right.
If 99% of people use OE then he had a 99% chance of being right.
Better odds you couldn't get at any bookies Wink
Glad you got sorted though Shutter Smiley When are you going to break the news about the new laptop to SWMBO Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Strat
If 99% of people use OE

In my (wide) experience it's only about 10% to 15% which is why I asked.  Wink
(the answers are very different for other email clients)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

me educated?, left school wiv nufin on paper, no O or A levels, no GCSE, No City and Guilds, mind you a few years later did have HNC in Heat, Mechanical and Marine, plus onc in Electrics and all my working life in Experimental engineering
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I think I've driven some of your 'Experimental engineering' Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Did share a garage with MaClaren F1 Proto car and the next one to Lamborgini, Our Instrument engineer at that time was a 5 month preg lady, managed to get a ride round with them,  Also mates with the Rear engine Ford Special, run in the Engine in a Transit, mid ships to rear wheels,  300 plus HP in a Transit, and many years ago, Yank Ford with Gas Turbine power unit.
Worked near All sorts of nice stuff, Aston Martin, and Jags, Ferrari, Maserati,