cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP and Promise Ultra100TX2 Controller

colintivy
Rising Star

XP and Promise Ultra100TX2 Controller

I have the hardware and software for the Promise kit and would like to instal them in my Dell OptiPlex G110. The software gives installation details up to  Windows 2000. Is there likely to be any significant difference in using XP for this? I seem to remember some old posts extolling the virtues of the kit,as opposed to the motherboard controller, for speed and driving more HDs etc., but not what version of M$ was involved. Any clues?
    Huh Huh
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: XP and Promise Ultra100TX2 Controller

Do you want to boot from it or just use it as a controller for additional hdd's?
If booting it may find it automatically. Can't say though as it has been a LONG time since I used xp  Lips_are_sealed
Anonymous
Not applicable

This lists a driver for XP, and how to configure it.
I have used many of these cards very successfully for boosting old motherboards (with only UDMA 33 or 66) to make Ubuntu servers and desktops (with UDMA-100 drives in RAID-0 arrays), unfortunately for this thread I have not tried them on XP  Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

@ HB,
Solely for running HDs without size limit and at full practical speed (I think!)
@purleigh,
Thanks for reference. The paperwork that I have stops short at Win 2000, hence my query. I have downloaded the driver from the ref just in case my floppy with the board is of an earlier vintage. I am in the process of shifting XP into a 160GB IDE Drive, a subject of another thread, and then hoping to replace the 8GB with another 160GB to give me some more flexibility (? putting Linux on it?)
  Grin Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you are using a drive > 137GB, you might want to check here for latest firmware and XP driver.
Use -
[Select Product] = "Ultra100 TX2"
[Select Category] = "All"
[Select OS] = "Windows"
- and then use the scroll bar within the web page to see all the downloads !
colintivy
Rising Star

This site looks promising (ugh), it seems that XP is not always memtioned because of the age of the parts but I will persevere. I also note that the BIOS in my Dell is Version 05 and the Dell website tells me that there are versions 06 to 09 available, do you know what these enhancements provide? also would downloading 09 on its own bring everything across? I find the Dell Forum most difficult to use (I am registered) but have not found out yet how to pose these questiojns.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you go to the Dell support website http://support.euro.dell.com/support/
then go to "Drivers Home"
enter the "Service Tag" details printed on your machine
you can then get access to the drivers and BIOS updates available specifically for your machine.
In that section you can look at each available BIOS update by clicking on the relevant "File title" link, and view a list of "Fixes and enhancements" for each release  Wink
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks purleigh,
Followed your links but they do not quite allow for the older versions of BIOS's unless I did not find the proper route. However I did manage to get to making a post to their Forum, which I had not before. Must have tried too soon after registering. I will await results, it is 4 am in USA right now so will look tomorrow.
We seem to have got off topica bit, if a Mod wants to shift us I will start afresh if advised.
C.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, if you go back to where it listed the single latest BIOS, if you look immediately at the top of the download list and below "More filter options", there are actually (usually) two tabs, the first will be specific to your service tag number, but just to the right there is another tab (admittedly not very obvious to see) which lists ALL the downloads for machines of that type, so if there is more than one BIOS revision then it should be listed there.
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks, I will look again. Surprisingly, I had an almost immediate reply to my post there suggesting that the latest available version ought to contain all the intermediate mods and fixes. I am not very confident that it will but might download it anyway, it is small enough to fit into a floppy. I have the Dell Download Manager installed, presumably that will allow me to do that. The Download button on the site merely links me to the installation of the Manager which I already have but not played with.