cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Service Pack 2

seanbranagh
Grafter

XP Service Pack 2

I have 2 servers in my attic. One running XP Pro and the other Fedora 7.
Up until recently I only had service pack 1 installed on the XP machine. I installed SP2 a few days ago. As my network switch is downstairs beside where I work on my main computer I am able to clearly see all the traffic on my network. Ever since the installation of SP2 on my Windows server there has been almost continous internet traffic that I cannot account for on this machine. I have checked the FTP server log and the Apache log and even shut theese servers down. I have also stopped BitComet from running on its usual schedule but still the traffic continues. I have ran AVG and Ad-Aware several times and found nothing. What could this be and why did it only start when I installed service pack 2? Before service pack 2 I was able to account for all the traffic between this computer and the internet.
9 REPLIES 9
Will
Grafter

Re: XP Service Pack 2

I use cFosSpeed and I get the same thing when monitoring traffic.
Specifically related to torrent.
I dont know why but after you shut it down it continues to use connections.....it does stop after a while but it still shouldn't be doing it.....
I have been unable to figure out whether it's to do with DHT or torrent itself.
edit: forgot to add, in my case, rebooting the router fixes this (but not the pc)
samuria
Grafter

Running a pc with sp1 is crazy as its really old now and there are loads of vulnerabilities in it.
with a clean sp2 you would have maybe 200 updates to download to get you up to date so unless you have updates turned off that would account for the traffic.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have been using XP SP1 for years. I NEVER update and have never had a problem despite the computer being on and connected to the internet 24/7 for the past 3-4 years. I only update AVG and Zone Alarm when I am prompted. From personal experience working on other peoples computers I have found that the only people who have problems are those with a lack of computer knowledge and in some cases, pure common sense when using the internet. In other words I know what activities may damage my computer and I don't need updates and prompts from Windows to patronize me. One of the main reasons I completely despise Vista!
seanbranagh
Grafter

If it is not broken then don't fix it. LoL
galatea

"I don't need updates and prompts from windows to patronize me." I totally understand your point of view Sean, a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing...
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Admittedly I also see seans point of view.
I DO install SP2 on every XP machine I have BUT once it's installed I don't install any further updates. Here's a few reasons why:
1) Time to deal with it
2) Sometimes programs that worked stop working
3) Updates seem to introduce further unwated bugs
4) Updates consume bandwidth
5) Updates are simply a pain.
It's far easier just to run a decent firewall @ the gateway, then run a soft firewall on every PC in use. I know it doesn't stop everything, but at least any virus's that are downloaded in webpages have to be given permission to make out bound connections.
As a matter of course, backups are put onto a seperate networked machine which spends most of it's time turned off - Thus avoiding network aware virus's as much as possible.
Updates are ok for the odd PC or 2, but when you have multiple systems they are nothing but a nuisance. Especially when you end up reinstalling Windows every few months. Admittedly XP doesn't need reinstalling very often but when you get a HD failure (which I have intermittently as I type) along with some other choice hardware errors it becomes a nightmare.
Easier just to install SP2 and forget the rest. I know it probably isn't the most secure way to leave a PC but at least SP2 is installed.
@Sean: I've never had your problems with SP2. I don't know what could be causing it so I can't help. Where did you get it? - M$ site or a M$ CD?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I agree. Like I said before, a good firewall router (Netgear DG834 in my case) AVG free edition (kept up to date) and Zone Alarm free edition and you cannot go wrong. That has worked for me for years. Why waste time and effort on Windows updates?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Forgot to add, a bit of common sense when using the web, most important security tool!
seanbranagh
Grafter

LoL