cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP - Sata Install problem

God
Grafter

XP - Sata Install problem

I'm trying to install XP Pro SP2c on a new PC with three internal SATA drives.
XP is giving me a hard time, having asked me if I want to create a parition on the target drive it then says it needs to copy some files across but that is can't because the drive doesn't have a valid boot sector for XP.
If I have to I guess I could put a drive in another machine format is and try again. I remember the days when XP didn't recognise SATA drives without extra drivers during install, but surely as it can see all three this isn't the problem any more? 
Any ideas for a quick solution?
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: XP - Sata Install problem

I have no direct experience of a multiple sata drive problem but I know that trying to install on a sata drive when there is a PATA drive installed won't work as XP puts some files on the PATA drive even though it isn't supposed to.
Can you try disconnecting the two drives you aren't going to use and trying to install on the remaining one as I suspect it is trying to put some files on one of the other SATA drives
God
Grafter

That sounds right Jim. When XP install offers me the drives to install on they all seem to be the same drive number. I was trying not to open the box again but I reckon I will have to! I'll give it a go and report back!
God
Grafter

Argghhhh... PC boot now seems to stop during post at ACPI controller. I have no idea what is going on!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which motherboard are you using.
I seem to remember reported problems using the off chip SATA port on some motherboards
God
Grafter

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

first thought is to try using the yellow SATA connector instead of the purple one as the purple one uses the JMicron JMB363 chip while the three yellow ones use the Intel ICH9R Southbridge.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

God
Grafter

Jim,
I think it was two problems. One being the three drives, the other I noticed that the floppy activity light was staying on, once I disconnected the floppy and reduced to one disk it seems happy to install.
I think I have seen this before when a badly connected floppy hangs the system. Which keep the floppy light on power or data cable connected wrongly?
God
Grafter

Hi Jim, Yup that is the order I have wired them up, the first three for the sata hard disks,  system on 0 then 4&5 for the dvd drives nothing on six then 7&8 (purple) for the external sata bracket.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It's a very long time since I had a problem like that (to give you an idea how far back - it was when you could put IDE cables on the wrong way round  ;D) and I think it is due to the data cable not being fully home so that the system knows it is there and keeps trying to get the correct response and failing.
God
Grafter

Plugged in the other Sata drives and all is fine. I will take a look at the floppy tomorrow! Like you I didn't think it was possible to cable a floppy the wrong way anymore! I remember both ends having notches when I fitted it, maybe its a faulty drive.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: God
Like you I didn't think it was possible to cable a floppy the wrong way anymore!

I was cabling up a PC the other week and when I came to the Floppy I followed convention of pin 1 next door to the power socket. I later discovered it was reversed.
PCs generally don't come with floppy drives these days anyway (no-one needs them any more :-\) and an external USB device is usually offered.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
God
Grafter

Floppies are definately legacy, but some folks need them. This little blighter is a Sony and it turns out the socker had a cut out on top and bottom. There you are then, the lesson is look before it is in the chasis and you can only see one of the notches clearly!  Grin
Thanks for you help folks.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I love these PC oddities....
"Try booting from a bootable floppy"  no floppy drive installed.
'Keyboard failure...press f1 to continue' !!!!
'Modem failure....download fresh drivers from the maker's site !!!
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine