cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP SP3 update

dabow
Rising Star

XP SP3 update

I am being prompted by Microsoft to download the SP3 update.
Can anyone tell me if it is now safe to do so,bearing in mind the problems back in May/June that were being reported ?
I am running an AMD processor and previously there seem to have been "bugs" associated with these.
I would be grateful for any up-to-date info. 
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: XP SP3 update

It should be fine.
I think those problems were just with Zone Alarm, but those have since been fixed with subsequent Windows Updates.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually the problems were with certain makes of computers (I think HP but I could be wrong) where the operating system was installed as an image and to save the bother they used the same image for AMD and Intel processors.
This worked fine until SP3 which saw the Intel bits and promptly wiped out/modified the AMD parts so you were left with an non bootable system
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I thought the AMD problems were for Vista SP1 not XP. The Zone Alarm problem relate to a DNS poisoning flaw fix that MS issued and not related to SP3.
XP SP3 has installed fine on all the systems I have updated (20+) but as with all major updates, make sure you have a backup of all important files beforehand.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006978.html
The recent Windows XP Service Pack 3 update has left certain AMD-based PCs manufactured by Hewlett-Packard caught in an endless reboot cycle caused by an Intel-specific disk image mistakenly being used with AMD hardware. According to the Microsoft Update Product Team Blog, "The problem is a registry value, present on images created with Intel processors, that causes a driver (intelppm.sys) to load at boot
Nick_Russell
Grafter

You're correct, problems reported were for Vista SP1.
Searching various forums, there are some reports of XP SP3 difficulties but I have upgraded a laptop and PC with no problems.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've now updated around 50 machines with SP3 a mix of Intel, AMD, old, new with no side effects (so far!)
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dabow
Rising Star

Thanks to everyone for the replies and information.
I feel more confident now to let it happen.
Thanks again. Smiley
community
Grafter

Did you read EVERY one of the replies here?
Be sure you make backups of ALL your important data before you go to SP3...you may very well need them, together with a whole lot of patience!
Eddie Johnson
tgr
Grafter

I have an amd processor and have downloaded and use the update without any probs
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: community
Be sure you make backups of ALL your important data before you go to SP3...you may very well need them, together with a whole lot of patience!
Eddie Johnson

Sound advice for any significant change to your system, but thankfully I've not had to use it yet on this upgrade Smiley
I've got a Clone master to recover from if things do go mammaries skyward.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dabow
Rising Star

Thanks Eddie,tgr,MauriceC for taking the trouble to reply.
As you quite rightly state, I shall take all reasonable precautions and also
keep my fingers crossed !!  Huh
techguy
Grafter

Running SP3 on a Pentium D (Presler = 2 x Prescott P4s) with ZoneAlarm build 483 after having the problem, all ok now.