cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP SP3 auto-update warning!

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

XP SP3 auto-update warning!

It might be just me, but I thought I would post a record of this morning's nightmare as a warning to others.
First, I thought SP3 would only become available in June as an auto-update but a pop-up appeared soon after booting the PC this morning so I (foolishly) said ok to the download. Nothing happened! After about 15 minutes of checking e-mails and browsing still nothing was happening so I tried Microsoft Update. Yes - SP3 was waiting so again I said yes and this time the download started.
All seemed to go well, download concluded, verification concluded, but the clean-up stage just ran and ran and ran... and eventually the PC froze... could not even get to task manager to view running processes. I therefore manually re-booted.
As expected Windows did not like that and I was presented with "setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration" followed by an re-boot - then Software Update Removal Wizard - then re-boot - then eventually the log-on screen and loading personal settings. The Windows wallpaper then appeared but only with a small box advising that my Internet Explorer profile was being restored  ... remained for some considerable time without actually doing anything and was eventually killed by me using task manager leaving just the wallpaper and nothing else!
Another re-boot produce the same IE profile box. At this stage I gave up.
Fortunately I do daily incremental backups using Acronis and this successfully restored what the SP3 update had destroyed.
So the warning. Do heed the advice to do a backup before installing this. My possible mistake was to leave Kaspersky AV running while trying to install and so next time it will be deactivated. But just having looked at Microsoft's Troubleshooting XP SP3 Installation, they do expect problems, so you should as well Roll_eyes
Cliff
15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: XP SP3 auto-update warning!

Thanks for the warning Cliff.... especially about doing a back up/ restore point  before installing.  Undecided
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm pretty sure it creates a restore point anyway, but having your own backups is a wise additional precaution.
I've done 3 XP-SP3's so far. 2 were totally smooth and the 3rd (on my main day-to-day PC) had a "glitch". After the update you have to reboot and an error message appeared briefly, I think something about lsass not having enough virtual memory followed by an immediate reboot. This time it was OK.  Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just downloaded the installation ISO and put it on two machines without problem. I did pause Kasperdky protection before installing as that is the recommended procedure.
On one of the machines it needed to repair Windows Messenger but that happened automatically
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Ive just installed SP3, from the network install download. Thought I was going to have to reinstall windows. After the 1st reboot, SVCHost was again hogging 99% processor time, and the HDD was being constantly accessed for some reason. After 4 reboots, things appear to be settling down again, but I have noted that when I login, the desktopicons appear in a normal time, but the taskbar is only partially there, and takes over a minuite to appear properly. I also noted that update.exe appeared to be running all the time, but now seems to have disappeared.  Anyone any ideas at all?Huh
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Just to emphasise one point from my original post concerning restore points and backup. The SP3 installation does automatically create a restore point but in my case the MS restore failed (at the IE profile restore) and so I had to rely on the Acronis backup to get my system back.
Having now read all the MS advice on the update (stable doors come to mind) and comments on the Kaspersky forums I am now more that convinced that that was where I went wrong. I have now downloaded the full 316MB update and plan to try it out on an old laptop first.
edit: @oldjim - just read your post in another thread about the ISO download, will there be any difference between that and the download I obtained at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displa...
Cliff
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes - it's 200MB bigger but I don't know why
Just burning a second CD - will attach a directory listing for information
Oldjim
Resting Legend

File listing from CD - the Symbols CAB file seems to be the big difference and contains a very large number of small files which are a mixture of .exe, .dll and .sys files
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Thanks for that.
The download I obtained is only WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe at 324,030kb. Clearly some of the extra files are help files but I suspect that other may be resources that the exe looks for on the installation drive and if that fails it gets them over the internet.
Having not tried it yet I cannot say for certain but if I'm installing with Kaspersky disabled I will not be connected to the internet!
Cliff
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

More "late-breaking" information from the Microsoft release note for SP3:-
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer.
To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP SP3.
If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3, uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."
This could also be part of my problems and as I already use Firefox I will be ditching IE7 before another attempt at SP3.
Cliff
dpsimmons
Grafter

Hi i am to say after testing sp3 on windows xp for a while and i now have the realesed on all my office computers over our sites and we have only had 1 issue and that is when it crashes applications from time to time for example MSN messenger, which they do responed after a while.
other than that i have had no issues and as i amware SP3 microsoft are not realasin sp3 for a whilt till they find a fix for small businesses.
Daniel
bobboulby
Grafter

I installed SP3 this morning - it took about 1 hour 15 minutes end to end.
I used Windows Update - initially the download appeared to freeze but I cancelled, rebooted and then all went smoothly. I took the precaution of disabling my ZoneAlam firewall, AVG v8 Resident Shield virus protection and Windows Defender real time protection before I started.
Everything seems to be working ok - MS Messenger (I'm using v8.1) re-installed itself when I launched it but then was fine.
Bob
Oldjim
Resting Legend

just spotted this - a big warning to anyone with an AMD computer with XP preinstalled or with an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-in...
dgdclynx
Grafter

With my 512 MB RAM I just installed SP3 in 85 minutes. My Norton 2008 firewall only had to give access once. My printer and my dialup are OK which is a relef.  I have always installed the Microsoft updates so after the download it didnt take much time. It will be interesting to see when I hit problems. I did an Acronis backup in advance in case the restore point didnt work. I have IE7 but it looks healthy so far. I have been getting the occasional freeze.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Panic over - well mine anyway.
Having taken my time and proceeded more methodically over the weekend using the ISO CD image downloaded from MS (thanks to Oldjim for the link), I have now successfully update both my computers to SP3. The Pentium III laptop with 0.5GB RAM took over one and a half hours to update but this PC, with AMD 64 X2 3800+ and 3GB RAM, took less than half and hour. So far everything is working as it should.
Cliff