Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP SP3 RC2 Refresh

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

XP SP3 RC2 Refresh

I will shortly (in the next 2 or 3 days) be doing a full reinstall of XP from a SP2 install disk as the present installation is in a mess.
It would obviously be much easier to download SP3 before and just apply it rather that wait while the multitude of updates and reboots happen. If it all goes pear shaped obviously I can start again but I wondered in anyone has experience with this version and perhaps more relevant will I need to remove it when the full release happens.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: XP SP3 RC2 Refresh

Jim, I don`t understand.... I am also running XP.... have a SP2 disc.... which I think only updates the original XP  to the date when SP2 (presumably) combined all the fixes at issue date.... Are you saying that the SP3 version will update original XP without installing SP2 before SP3?
Can`t advise on your original question though.... Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is recommended to install SP2 before SP3 although it should work from SP1 install. I actually have the full XP install disk including SP2 (actually 2 or 3 copies due to installing on a number of machines).
The point about the SP3 is that includes all the updates from the original issue of SP2 plus a few extra stability enhancements in one download.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think what Jim is asking is that SP3 is currently in Release Candidate 1, so its not been fully released yet.
At the moment installing SP2 and then running automatic updates is a pain, cos they are so many of them .. given how old SP2 is now.
So I suspect he's thinking of installing SP3 RC1, rather than having to do all the automatic updates, but the question is what happens when SP3 is fully released. Can he just apply it over the top of SP3 RC1?
I've not used SP3, so I don't know the answer I'm afraid. Personally I would wait for the full release just in case.
shutter
Community Veteran

So, If I read these posts correctly.
When SP3 (proper version) is released, to do a "clean re-install"  it would be possible to use the Original XP install disc, which contains SP1, then install SP3, and that should bring everything bang up to date (of release of SP3), and subsequent updates/error fixes will only be after the SP3 release date?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

yes
shutter
Community Veteran

AH good..... Thanks Jim..... I`ll wait until SP3 proper comes out, and then do a re-install..... like you, I got a lot of garbage on the HDD and it will do me good to sort it out...  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I mentioned earlier in the thread there may be a recommendation to install SP2 first but that is also available as a standalone download and can be slipstreamed onto the basic XP install disk if wanted.
Rikaitch
Grafter

I have SP3, and almost all is great. I slipstreamed it into an XP pro SP2 install, and it saves nearly an hour when you update. One thing I will say about SP3 is that it's not very stable with IE6 or IE7 after, for some reason crashing a lot on more complex websites, but this can be rectified by turning off the research add-on or installing Firefox instead. Those that have ever fixed (or tried to fix) the "Limited or no connectivity" error with wireless will appreciate the new refresh IP facilities which actually seem to work. Still I have to run certain registry fixes for outlook express as well, but apart from that it's cool.
Well as cool as Microsoft can be.