cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Pro licence.

seanbranagh
Grafter

XP Pro licence.

Working on a Dell Optiplex machine that has a COA on the side for Windows XP Pro. The product key is not accepted when installing using a generic copy of XP Pro. I have also tried installing using a diferent product key the changing it once installed but that won't work either. Do I need a Dell specific disc? Any other way round this?
Would be ridiculous to have to buy a copy of XP when it already has a license sticker.
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: XP Pro licence.

You'll need a Dell OEM disk, some other OEM disk might work too though..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

It is an OEM disc I have being using (not Dell though), that didn't work. Where can I get my hands on a Dell disc other than paying £30 on eBay from the states?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ask nicely and someone will copy one for you for a small fee.  Wink (not me though, I'm not around for a while)
Note: An XP Home (Dell OEM) CD will also work, though I'm not quite sure what the licensing implications are.
(any valid Dell OEM XP CD will install without needing a key or activation and will pass all validation checks)
seanbranagh
Grafter

I know I should have copied my brothers Dell XP home cd last time I reinstalled for him. (He lives at the other end of the country).
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah yes, the old problem of trying to use an OEM key on a retail disc.
Used to have the same problem with MSDN, for which the ISO's were always retail ones.
It's isn't obvious which one you have, of course.
You need to get hold of an XP OEM disc, I had the same problem when rebuilding my dad's laptop.
It wouldn't read the disc which came with the laptop at all (always hung at the blue dos-like XP loading screen at some driver).
I had to get hold of another image from a *cough* external source, so I could use the OEM key as stuck on the laptop Roll_eyes
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have several OEM discs as installed on my own computers but this one needs to be Dell specific. I have found that any old OEM disc will work with a Home Edition COA but professional is a little more fussy.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah - I didn't realise there were manufacturer specific editions of XP Pro.
Only ever had to re-install a few XP Homes.
And that was bad enough Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Seams to be the case. I learned the hard way, half way through an install in someones house a little while back.
Lurker
Grafter

PM Me your address Sean - I have hundreds.
I'll post you one (FOC - feel free to donate to a charity of your choice if you fancy saying thanks)
seanbranagh
Grafter

That is very good of you, I really appreciate it but I was able to get the Dell XP Pro disc from another source. I can get the Home Edition from my brother in case I ever need it. I also reinstalled MCE on a Dell machine for a guy recently after he fought with Dell for a copy of the disc. I could get my hands on that disc if ever I needed it again.