cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 display of PN Front page

colintivy
Rising Star

XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 display of PN Front page

I had my wrist slapped (quite rightly) in Feedback for my posts on this which got off topic; so here goes to see what seems to be impossible:-
Prior to the PN new web page, my two machines behaved similarly on reacting to the usual "www.plus.net"  on Firefox. There were very small differences in the appearance of the FF tool bar, ie the "Home on Win 7 still looked like a little house on XP.  FF was version 17 on both machines (now on 18). When I saw the new page when it came on-line, I noted its improved appearance and remarked on it in Feedback. Later I wound up my old XP and was astonished to see the old layout with the cheerful chappie offering all sorts of goodies of Broadband etc., much as it was before. Needless to say I did check that the PN address was exactly the same on both machines. In all other respects the XP machine works perfectly well in using all the facilities of the website. I can live with this but cannot see how the same address can produce a different display!
Could this be a by-product of 32 vs 64 bits which are the only basic differences between the machines (apart from the great difference in speed of operation)?
Huh
PS The failure to get to my router stats page on 192.168.2.1 (mentioned in Feedback) was finger trouble, XP stuffed www in front of it, now set up properly.
27 REPLIES 27
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 display of PN Front page

It could be the browser cache is being a bit too sticky,  and has failed to notice the shiny new pages!
Either hold shift down and refresh the page,  or clear the cache and try again!
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi kmilburn,
Bull's eye!!  Shift refresh did the trick. I did not think hard enough to realise what the problem might be. Another success story in the forum.
Cheesy  Wink  Wink
PS Can someone add SOLVED to the label or tell me how to do it please?
mushy
Grafter

I think you can edit the title and add solved yourself since you started the thread, just click modify in your first post
colintivy
Rising Star

Re: XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 display of PN Front page (SOLVED)>

Thanks Mushy, It all looks proper now. Why did I not think of that? VOAP probably the cause!!
Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

My euphoria was misplaced and I have amended the heading as you will see.
The clearing of caches is effective some times. I have discovered that the Win7 always goes direct to "plus.net" in the address bar, but looking at XP it has that address in the bar but looking at the activity at the bottom left of the screen, it appears that a whole raft of addresses are investigated, much too quickly to note down, but I noticed "google-analytics" was one. It would seem that all or some of these are old ones which download the old display instead of the current one.  I looked at Connection settings and found that "proxy" was in fact selected. HaHa! I said that is what is doing it! Reselected "no proxy" but to no avail, the raft still persists (checked "no proxy" still in place!). Win 7 uses "no proxy" as well. So the plot thickens. Any words of more wisdom?
Roll_eyes
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm sure there's just as much google-analytics and stuff like that on the new page, perhaps the Win 7 system is too quick to show it.
kmilburn
Grafter

If you install the Firebug addon, and enable the Network Traffic analyser,  it'll show what Firefox is up to,  and may give some insight.
colintivy
Rising Star

Firebug is installed. I will now try to fire it up when I have a few?? moments. I note that there are quite a range of other bits stemming from Firebug. I assume that the basic version is all I need now. Ta!
C.
colintivy
Rising Star

Got a few moments (snow affects normal programme!). Looked at Firebug and have not found any mention of Network Traffic analyser so far. Is this a separate extension or what?
The anomalous workings on XP are all too regular although occasionally the right version can turn up. Both seem to work in use.
As a side issue, on XP I have the Firefox toolbars displayed in the old style with arrows for back & forward and little house as Home. This has been present over the time of several updates (recently 17 to 18 on both machines) which surprises me and which was not detected until the current Win7 showed the changes. I believe that the latter is 64 bit which might explain this.
Any views out there?
Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to the above, I have found traffic analyser under Net and enabled it. The listing of activity seems to be limited to a long batch of the following, which I do not comprehend: 
GET ?&site=42676151&  200OK   server.lon.liveperson.net   187 B   178.249.99.1:80    |210 ms
liveperson does appear in the addresses that scroll rapidly while plus.net is being sought.
Does this help?
kmilburn
Grafter

When you reload the page, you'll get a listing like the one shown below..
the URL shows what firefox asked for,  the Status was the response received from the sever.
    a 200 OK means the requested file has been returned
    a 304 Not Modified means the file Firefox already has cached is up to date
    there are several other codes too.
it then shows  the domain the file was requested from, how bit it is,  what the servers IP address is, and how long it took.
The  liveperson.net requests are for a live chat window for Plusnet...
Regarding your other comment,  it's nothing to do with 64bit as Firefox (in Windows) is 32bit only.  There is an unofficial 64bit version called Waterfox.
There might be something in the profile that's causing issues, you could try createing a new one http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for that, your listings are much more varied that those I found, particularly the one seeking www.plus.net. SWMBO demands attention so I will persue this further tomorrow, evidence of snow permitting!
colintivy
Rising Star

I have installed Firebug in laptop and find that the listing looks very much like yours as far as it goes. I first thought that the XP one was different and not showing the "GET www.plus.net"; line but closer examination shows that it just the same for yours in this respect. This is with the old style page configuration in view. By scrolling down the XP list a great way, I do find the lines containing the pictures of the old style page ie. joe-flag2 band.png, joe-flag, doreen paint, etc., which explains why the display is there. I assume that these are not around when the new style is displayed. I will have to do a line-by-line check on both listings to see where they differ, which is no small task. Is there any way I can print a full listing? Or perhaps someone with an intimate knowledge of the process can guide me?Huh
The Firefox profile change looks a bit daunting. Is it possible to view the profile just to make a comparison between the two?
Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to reply #12...I have had time to experiment a bit more and found that the W7 Snipping Tool served a reasonable way to print the list in two bits. XP had to resort to Printscreen, Cut/Paste into Word for printing, again in two bits. Putting the results together it is clear that Win7 list is very much shorter than that of XP, which explains the the shorter access time to plus,net. something like 31 as opposed to 57 (approx)! Much of the extra is where the old images are asked for. Win7 stops short of all the requests containing the unwanted images. I could attach the listings with some difficulty because I would have to do it from both machines in two posts.
All this indicates that the software for XP is still unmodified even though both systems have been updated at least from 17 to 18 and perhaps from earlier. This is evident when you look at the standard set-up of Firefox itself mentioned much earlier. I suspect that the Profile might not get changed following updates for some reason. Can these be examined in a similar way to what I have done so far? It would be nice to get the displays to agree in all aspects.
Roll_eyes