cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP - Not so private.

God
Grafter

XP - Not so private.

On my XP box I have my admin account and four limited user accounts. None of the accounts are encrypted or hidden.
I was a little surprised today when I found that a limited user desktop search returned results from (and opened) word documents belonging to the admin account.
I really hadn't expected that. I had thought that a limited user would only have received results relating to his own account.
Obviously I could have hidden or encrypted the accounts when setting them up, it isn't an issue for me as I that machine doesn't hold any sensitive information. But I thought I would share that with you in case someone out there does have a PC that isn't as private as they think!
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: XP - Not so private.

Its a long time since I set up a multiple user machine but I seem to remember an option for limiting file access only to the account holder - the question was something like - do you want other users to have access to your files.
However I just checked the properties in the My Documents folder and it doesn't have the "Keep My Folder Private" box ticked - will try to remember for the next time.
samuria
Grafter

Can you as a limited user access the files of admin from explorer?
If you can something is wrong and the permissions arent set right unless you arnt using NTFS. The directories should only have access set to admins group and the owner there should not be anyone else with permision
There is known issues with desktop search and security which is why a lot of firms wont allow it
God
Grafter

I suspect it is because I have all the accounts data folders pointing to a different partition to the system drive. I do this by default on all machines as its safer than trusting your data to the windows partition  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That could be correct as the first thing I do is move My Documents to another partition along with Outlook and Outlook Express files