cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Home activation.

seanbranagh
Grafter

XP Home activation.

I often install different OS's on my laptop just to play with then maybe go back to Windows for a while before doing it again. Just got a message saying that I have exceeded the number of times I can activate Windows with my product key. I own this copy of Windows, surely I can reinstall it as many times as I like?Huh
I will hapily use Windows illegally or not at all if Microsoft will not let me use the copy I paid money for on the computer on which it came installed!
14 REPLIES 14
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: XP Home activation.

Activates OK over the phone but I hate doing that. Hope I don't have to do that every time from now on.
samuria
Grafter

A very simple answer to this is to use rockxp from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html and backup up activation so next time you can just restore the activation jobs a good en
Not applicable

Yes, I do agree Sean - particularly as the full version is very expensive. Surely they can tell that it is only being used on one computer at a time by the updates?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought they'd do that with the hardware hash, so reactivating it on the original PC doesn't count as a new activation.
It's only when the hardware changes, that it does.
My MSDN keys allow 10 activations, but that's 10 on different PC's .. so reactivating on the same PC as one I have already done won't count as a new one if the hardware hasn't changed.
I've reinstalled OEM Windows XP's back onto laptops using the key on the sticker, and had no problems.
Sounds like your key is screwed up in a way, or for some reason it thinks the hardware is different.
Yes, their phone line is a nightmare (well, it was when I had to use it once), not sure if you'll be able to get much sense out of them.
Not sure if you can contact Microsoft in some other way to ask them to look at it.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Alex
Yes, their phone line is a nightmare

I've had to use it a few times - it's free and efficient.  Cool
Mav
Fixes: 515

I've re-installed OEM XP many times on the same (sic) PC after hard drive crashes (maybe 5 or 6 at separate times), plus changed processor, graphics, even MB (twice). About every 4th or 5h time I've had to ring M$. Never had a problem with this, though (free phone, instamt reply, courteous response), as my explanations have always been accepted.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
I've had to use it a few times - it's free and efficient.  Cool

Efficient? It can't still be an Indian call centre then - if it is then that's a first Grin
HPsauce
Pro

The last time I think they had an American accent. Proves little though and it was late in the day.
artificer
Grafter

why do people tolerate this gross imposition?  that was my wake-up call to go looking for an alternative.  i'll not be dictated to as to how i may use my property in my castle.
HPsauce
Pro

It's not your property.
(read the licence)
Alex
Community Veteran

Sounds like it is better than it was then.
When I had (stressing that word) to call them, I was trying to rebuild someone else's PC which was shafted, so after backing up all the data, I had just re-installed their OEM XP. Used the key on the sticker and for some reason (I'm sure the PC had internet access) it wouldn't let me do it on-line.
I had to ring them, which is where the fun began. 20 minutes of my life wasted reading out the same 25 letter key 3-4 times.
Wasn't in the best of moods, considering after I got through that hurdle .. I had the joy of setting up all the software afterwards.
artificer
Grafter

my property in the form of my computer.  i will decide what software it runs.  entering a 25 character code was sufficient hassle without adding making unnecessary phone calls, being told how often i may reinstall, what changes to my kit i may make and, the crowning glory of insults, windows genuine advantage.  to whom, may i ask?  certainly not me.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Haven't you lot heard of the old WPA trick?
Look at this thread for this little gem  Wink I only advocate this IF your copy of Windows is genuine....
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm

PS - I know this thread is a little old, but still worth contributing to Smiley
samuria
Grafter

The third reply is the same as has just been suggested except it uses software to back it up for those no happy with dos etc