cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Firewall alert on start up

Not applicable

XP Firewall alert on start up

When I boot by friend's computer (XP) up the security warning sign comes up 'Your computer may be at risk - click the balloon etc etc'. Anyway, the balloon is clicked and the alert goes away. On checking, the Windows firewall is actually on.
I have seen this behaviour before on another friend's computer. Wondered if anyone knows why this occurs? it is clearly a false alert because each time I check, it is OK. Would like to stop it if possible.
6 REPLIES 6
techguy
Grafter

Re: XP Firewall alert on start up

Has spybot been run on the system do you know?
I know it used to incorrectly treat one of the security centre elements as spyware, if it was removed the SC would go a bit mad.
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply techguy. No, we haven't used Spybot. It is a newly reformatted computer (not an upgrade). We are using Windows Defender and McAfee AV. It has just occurred to me that I wonder if it is anything to do with Defender. It didn't do it when I first booted up the computer (pre-Defender) but it seems to have occurred after I installed it. Is this likely? I wouldn't take it off as it is ideal for my friend and the problem is not a major one, just annoying.
techguy
Grafter

Have you got SP3 on the system?
To be honest I haven't had defender on my home system since installing SP3 (cant install it at work due to security policy) but I'll give a whirl on my home system when I head home in about 1 hour 20 (roll on) and I'll let you know.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its the order in which the items are in the StartUp files, I have two laptops and if you watch the bottom bar on one ZoneAlarm is one of the last programs to start, and occasionally the M$S window appears before it loads.
Never tried to alter the order, but I assume it is simple
Njal
Grafter

The alert can be turned off if all else fails:
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/seccenteralert.htm
Regards,
Neil
Not applicable

Thank you all for replying. It seems to me that Pierre's logic is sound. I too had thought that this might be the issue. I suppose it is a bit like us when we get up in the morning and we try to think what day it is and what needs doing first!