Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Advice

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

XP Advice

What advice would you give to someone using XP and the internet once support is finished for the Product in April ?
Would it be wise to update to Windows 7 or is it quite safe to use XP on the internet after that date ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
35 REPLIES 35
adagio
Grafter

Re: XP Advice

I intend to continue to use XP, maintaining good anti-malware software and taking care as always over downloads, attachments etc.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If your computer is old enough to be running XP, I'd think it's time for a new computer - and get one with a SSD.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't agree
My better half's computer is XP and does everything she wants so a new computer would be of little practical benefit
I intend to keep it going on XP until Kaspersky no longer supports it - then I will either get a new one of install a later operating system
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ejs
If your computer is old enough to be running XP, I'd think it's time for a new computer - and get one with a SSD.

Now that is just throwing money away. It really depends on what you want to use the pc for. For general browsing and the odd email/doc then one with an ssd is complete overkill. This PC I use daily came with xp home originally, I got it sans HDD as the previous user found it too slow, so Freecycled it  - this was 4 years ago! I have replaced the hdd's several times, and just replaced the 1.8Ghz duo with a 2.25Ghz duo processor. Still fast enough for me most of the time.
I will not say what OS I would install on it (op's one) either  Wink
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm just letting my XP systems gently "fade away" as alternatives/replacements appear. But I see no need to retire them with any urgency.
I recently received a used/discarded W7 system (hard disk failure, so user bought a W8 unit to replace it) which I was able to reinvigorate (legally) with just a new hard disk.
And soon I'll be getting another from my son who wants a faster PC with W8 - he's from the iPhone generation and prefers that..
I see W7 as a "keeper" in the same vein as XP was, but my XP systems will soon be reduced to just a secondary boot alongside something else, mostly Vista.
aldabbagh
Grafter

Hi there. I've got a fairly medium size home network, with around 4 Desktops and 5 laptops. Most of my laptops have XP, I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on ALL my PCs and laptops.  Microsoft Security Essentials it does the best job, You can set when it look for updates and plan schedule scans. It works perfectly windows XP and 7. Although when I scan my PC it slows it down, It scans all the PCs during the night time when no one is using them. It's really up to you. I'd rather keep Windows XP.  Also how old is your PC?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just spotted this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help
What is Windows XP end of support?
Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 11 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.
As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date.
If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.
This site (which I don't trust) http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2322065/microsoft-cancels-security-essentials-for-windows-x... claims that
On the End of Life webpages of the Microsoft website, the company explained that it will withdraw support for its free security product Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) in 90 days.
However a bit more digging turned up this http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-may-end-antivirus-updates-on-xp-in-april-7000022645/
Microsoft will not guarantee updates of our antimalware signature and engine after the XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. Running antivirus on out of support operating systems is not an adequate solution to help protect against threats. Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today’s threat landscape.  In addition, Microsoft recommends best practices to protect your PC such as:  1) running up to date antivirus, 2) regularly applying security updates for all software installed, and 3) using modern software that has advanced security technologies and is supported with regular security updates.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/security-essentials-for-windows-xp-will-die-when-the-os-does/
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My wife's PC is running XP Home. It does everything she needs of it, it's plenty fast enough. It however would NOT be fast enough if upgraded to Windows 7 as it is nowhere near the minimum spec. - let alone Windows 8.
If there was a MS upgrade at a sensible cost which would run on her existing hardware I'd pay for it.
We will have to continue to use XP in spite of the risks.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Don't forget back in 2010 most places were selling new netbooks with XP home on so i would imagine that most software companies will still provide support for their products on XP for many years.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
It however would NOT be fast enough if upgraded to Windows 7 as it is nowhere near the minimum spec. - let alone Windows 8.

Have you actually checked?
I've loaded W8 on some SERIOUSLY OLD XP hardware and it ran surprisingly well.
It uses less resources than W7, though does have some specific requirements - run the compatibility tester.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

HPsauce is probably correct but Windows 8 is severely hampered by its split personality.  The desktop personality of Windows 8 is very unwieldy for absolutely no good reason and the touch-screen personality keeps popping-up unexpectedly.  Also if you have a version of Office prior to 2007, Microsoft won't let it run on Windows 8.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

'Her indoors' only uses her netbook for surfing (90% Facebook  :-X) and a few emails, relatively rarely for documents.  As with many netbooks this had XP instlalled but was starting to run very slowly.
Recently installed Linux Mint 16 Mate with Thunderbird for email and Libre Office for documents, it feels a lot faster now and, much to my surprise, she had no problems with it being 'different'.  Obviously this won't suit everyone but looks like a reasonable solution that involved no financial outlay.  Due to the speed improvement she won't be missing XP.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm OK on the Office front as I have 2010.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
x47c
Grafter

You need to really check carefully
Some older PC's have integrated network drivers which are ONLY for XP - and they have no win7 drivers available.
If you wanted to upgrade to win7/8 whatever on these you would need to put in a standalone network card into the PC