cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite question - increase number of rings before cutting call

nking
Dabbler

X-Lite question - increase number of rings before cutting call

When ringing landlines I sometimes find that X-Lite will cease ringing (approx 7 rings) before the recipients answerphone kicks in. Is it possible to increase the number of rings? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative free software package.
Also, as a heads up for anyone using the free voip minutes offered by their broadband package. If you call an 0800 (FREE) number the call duration is taken from your free minutes.... not entirely fair it seems.
Many thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: X-Lite question - increase number of rings before cutting call

I don't think it's X-Lite timing out. It's more likely to be the server at the PSTN gateway sending X-Lite an 'Unavailable' message.
I've just made a call from a Plustalk registered X-Lite client to a SIP address registered on a server that I know will keep trying more or less indefinably without sending 'Unavailable' & which I knew had no voicemail to kick in.
I got fed up of waiting after several minutes - long after any answerphone would have kicked in.
PSTN gateways are probably set to only try for so long - it's tying up an outbound trunk while they do. I can't test this on the Plusnet PSTN gateway because I don't have any credit. I have just tried from an eyeBeam client (which is essentially the same software) to a landline via the Sipgate PSTN gateway & it rang for 90 secs before receiving 'Unavailable' from the gateway server. The same test to a non-PSTN gateway server (like the first X-Lite test above) rang for over 2 mins again before I got bored.
You could try raising a ticket explaining the problem & asking for the timeout to be increased (I assume it's Plusnet's server we are talking about here). I would express the current timeout & the time you think you need in seconds, rather than number of rings - the ring tone is generated by the client.
nking
Dabbler

Re: X-Lite question - increase number of rings before cutting call

Thanks for the reply Simon. I have raised a ticket to PlusNet and await their reply.