cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP location

wilcochris
Dabbler

Wrong IP location

So, I was looking at google maps and iOS maps and it has my location as Maidstone, Kent. My real location is March, Cambridgeshire. Anyone come across this before?
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Wrong IP location

I'm guessing you are not on a fixed IP. It just means that a previous user of your current IP was in March. The way that location works is very shaky - I wouldn't worry about it. In fact for security purposes it having the wrong location is maybe a good thing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Swipe
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I've just bought a chromecast which gives me the wrong weather temperature as it thinks I'm on the other side of the country
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks like the Chromecast uses the geo-location of your IP which will be London.
David
cobbarnfarm

I've just switched to PlusNet and now find on Google I am seeing ads local to Aberdeen when I live 400 miles away in Tunbridge Wells. This is a particular problem as I control Google Ad words for my website within a 15 mile radius of Tunbridge Wells and now none of my ads appear. Entering my location into Google does not help. Any suggestions?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you gone paid the £5 fee to change to a fixed IP? If not each time you reconnect the IP you get could be anywhere in the country depending on the previous user of the IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having a fixed IP make any difference, I don't think it does. I have two, and Goggle will give me different locations, none of which are anywhere near me!
If it does make a difference then how long does the new location data take to propagate through the system?