cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word is slow to load and slow to unload - any clues?

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Word is slow to load and slow to unload - any clues?

Very recently my Word program has become slow to load and slow to unload.  It continues to print at a normal rate, although I have re-installed my default laserjet printer (used by Word) recently and my colour printer (not used by Word).
Excel is not affected.
Additionally, I have upgraded Norton 360 from Ver 3 to Ver 4 recently and guess that this might be a cause.  I find Norton 360 Ver 4 superb, both operationally and in the user-interface and am a long-time user of Norton.
Any clues?
There are numerous comments on the web and on the Microsoft site, however, these do not appear relevant.
Regards.....
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Word is slow to load and slow to unload - any clues?

You don't mention which version of Word it is.  Older versions had a nasty habit of corrupting the template file, normal.dot.  Sometimes deleting this file and forcing Word to re-create a new one with the standard defaults would help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try changing the default printer to something like CutePDF and see if that fixes it
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks ReedRichards and Oldjim.
My Word version is old!  Word 2003 Basic Edition 11.8329 SP3.
I have seen reference to normal.dot.  How do I delete it?  Is this a Registry issue?  I'd want to be careful here.
I don't think it's a printer issue Oldjim, however, I tried changing the default printer and it had no effect.
Regards.....Noel
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do a search for normal.dot on your C; drive and then just delete it (I would make a copy first just in case it isn't the problem)
Actually I just had a thought.
If you go into Office setup and uninstall Word then reinstall it the problem might go away
fotobits
Rising Star

OK Oldjim and ReedRichards, I've found how best to do this, ie with Word closed, find normal.dot....it's in a hidden folder.....rename the current or all the normal.dot's, then close and restart Word.
I'll try this tomorrow and let you know.
Regards and thanks.....
fotobits
Rising Star

Hi ReedRichards, as you suggested I have deleted the normal.dot files and Word now loads/closes fast and without problems!
I am most grateful for the time and trouble you and Oldjim have taken on my behalf and for the speedy resolution of my problem in a well-managed fashion.
Regards and thanks again.....Noel
KenA
Grafter

I also have this problem intermittently on my work PC.  I discovered that if I access a file on a remote server using Word, the next time I load it, I presume Word tries to access the remote folder, but if it's not there (perhaps because my laptop is now not connected to the office network), it takes a long time to load till I re-start Word again.
fotobits
Rising Star

Yes KenA, there seems to be several ways that results in Word becoming sluggish.
As ReedRichards indicated and if my experience is anything to go by, normal.dot is the guilty party with elderly versions.
Thanks for your comment.
Regards.....