cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless routers

qwentyman
Grafter

Wireless routers

I have been using a plusnet voyager 210 wired router, as my pc does not do wireless (and have had a really good service yet!).
    Now I have a wireless notebook too I am thinking of changing to a wireless router in order to use both computers - having checked that I can still use the wired pc on a wireless router.
    Any advice on a good, simple wireless router would be welcome. Should I get one through plusnet, for example? I really need something hassle-free and idiot-proof.  Wink
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Wireless routers

how long have you been with PN, it is possible that you can get a new one for the P&P of £6.99, JamesH normally arranges it
James
Grafter

Hi qwentyman,
I'm not sure who this JamesH is that Peter speaks of, but as you've been on your current product for over a year, we can arrange to send you a new router for a postage charge of £6.99 if you stay with us for a further 12 months.
qwentyman
Grafter

Thanks P_P and Jameseh. Could the latter send me a router please, I agree to pay the postage etc. ... !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

whates an e between friends Cheesy Cheesy
mal0z
Grafter

ey ay gum
James
Grafter

Hi Qwentyman,
I've ordered your rotuer.  It should be with you around about Tuesday next week.
qwentyman
Grafter

Wrong there!  It arrived next day (Saturday morning), fantastic service. V many thanks.
All seems to work fine but I am trying to work out whether security settings are as they should be.
I have looked at the forum and help pages and find I should use WPA encryption (?) and a good password etc but cannot see actually how to do that.  The Thomson Gateway homepage is not that clear to me.
Specifically - in the list of available local wireless connections, mine appears as PlusnetWireless. (I think I must have entered that somewhere during setup!). My password is the WPA PSK code that came with the router.
Can I change the name to something anonymous, and can/should I change the WPA password - and how? Simple guide for idiots would be appreciated ...
adie:quote
jtn
Grafter

Hi.
On your routers home page which is at http://192.168.1.254 click on "Home Network" at bottom of left hand menu then click "interfaces". In main frame click the wireless interface then click on configure at top right hand corner. Then you can do stuff like change the ssid to something you prefer. No need to change the wpa key but you can on that same page if you wish.
Cheers
Jon
qwentyman
Grafter

Belated thanks! Done it now and all is set to my liking.  Thanks to plusnet and all who put me on the track.  Cheesy