cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router

iansimms
Grafter

Wireless router

I  want to set up a Linksys ADSL Home Gateway WAG354G. I have windows XP, i am not sure how to go about this. Can i connect the Linksys to my telelphone socket only and use my laptop around the house or does it have to be permanently connected to laptop, also where do i find the connection info for the router?
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Wireless router

Your Linksys is a wireless router, so it plugs into the telephone socket and your laptop
communicates with it using wireless.
It's handy to have a wired link for initial setup.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Re: Wireless router

This is the router that I have and the easiest way to set it up is to use the disc that comes with as it  will quide you through the setup process.
This is the Plusnet set up guide page:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/general_setup_guide.shtml
Make sure that you have your details to hand (username/password). I think that for Plusnet it is username@plusdsl.net.
When it gets to the wireless encryption section, select WPA and it will ask you for a password (at least 8 number/letter combination) - don't forget to write this down.
When it is all configured you can remove the ethernet cable and it should be OK. I don't use XP now but have set up the router on this OS and it found the signal immediately.
Good luck.