cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router.

macmuck

Wireless router.

Im on a Bt line using the Voyager 210. Can anyboby advise on a good wireless router that would be about 10 metres from the main socket and thro a few 2 foot thick walls. Are they easy to set up and what will need reconfiguring. I might also get a wireless keyboard and mouse if anyone can assist i'd be very grateful.
Ta.
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: Wireless router.

I am unclear why the router would be 10 meters from the socket? The idea is to  put the router as close as possible to the socket and then use the wireless. It as if you are trying to connect the router to the socket by radio.
Most wireless router with modems are fine but do make sure it has a modem. There are lots to choose from but Netgear seems to be the favorite it depends on price and the speed you want.
Setup is either simple or a pain some have a cd with them that makes setup simple LINKSYS have a button on the router for simple setup.
Wireless keyboards / mice are straight forward and install very easy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The other odd requirement is thru 2 foot thick walls, wireless has a job getting thru a 9 inch wall, no hope through 2 foot
Denzil
Grafter

A 2wire/BT2700HRG is worth considering. They are sold new exclusively through BT, but you can buy them unlocked fairly cheaply from Ebay. I understand they are more powerful than most in the radio department. There is a control in the web interface to adjust the power as well. No guarantee even that will get through your thick walls, although it depends how they are constructed.
macmuck

Thanks guys. Having talked to a few people I think i'll get a std router with firewall. Netguard you say?