cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router - help please

intrepid

Wireless router - help please

Hi there, I'm new to broadband and I'm not sure whether to leave my wireless router powered-up 24/7 or to switch off after each session.
I've followed the instructions regarding securing my router but how can I check that I'm protected against unauthorised access to my broadban connection.
Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Wireless router - help please

morning and welcome to the forum.+
initially, leave it on for the first ten days, this to get BT to recognize the speed and quality of your line.
By security, I take it you have WPA installed, you should get some form of Anti Virus, I use AVG, but the latest version 9 seems to have some problems, other people will advise when they wake up.  the PN firewall is said to be sufficient
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Peter raises some good points.
Ideally it's best to keep it turned on for the first 10 days, then you can just turn it off overnight when you're not using it.
scootie
Grafter

minum of wpa but better if use wpa2 encpt for the wireless and use password thats hard to guess best not to use dictionary words as i belive the way very determined hackers crack wpa is knowin as a dictinory attack but last i checked it they have to sniff wpa for days for them to get enough leaked info to work out the password
so its simple case of not picking a password thats in the book of words
you can switch the wireless off but when ever you want to use it you have to wire your self to the router and switch it on again
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Despite the headlines WPA hasn't been cracked yet.
It isn't possible to extract your encryption key and it isn't possible to inject data packets to hack into your bank etc.
However, it is possible to inject certain small control packets into your router where most of the (unencrypted) format is already known.
So whilst WEP is easy to crack, WPA may possibly one day be crackable and it is very unlikely that WPA2 will ever be cracked.
So it's not something to keep you awake at night. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I could be wrong but I think that switching off too many times in a day would possibly make the BT equipment think you have an unstable connection, overnight (once per day) should be OK though and it is good to be green (though a typical router is probably about 10W power consumption so not the largest 'carbon footprint' around).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
intrepid

Hi again,
Many thanks for your replies.
I have entered the WPA code as per the security instructions that came with the router (Thomson TG585 v7) so I take it that I should be protected against anauthorised access to my broadband connection.
What is WPA2 and how do I use it ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

WPA2 is just a 'better' version of WPA, sorry I don't know your router, mine just lists WPA2 in the wireless security options.
Some wireless adaptors still do not support WPA2, though the vast majority of recent ones do but some routers allow you to mix WPA and WPA2 to accomodate the older clients (not sure if that's any more secure than WPA.
Most people agree that WPA is very secure but if you have the option then WPA2 does give even better security (probably the difference between 'unhackable' and 'comletely unhackable' in practical terms).  More important is to choose a good passkey (not a recognisable name or word, preferbly mix upper and lower case letters, numbers and non-alphanumeric characters (£$%& etc.)).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
intrepid

The Thomson router, supplied by PlusNet, has a built-in pass-key (a hex number) so I can't "choose" one, unfortunately.  Cheesy
Thanks, anyway, for the info.
scootie
Grafter

yep you can set the PN router up to use wpa2 just as i have, the joke password is optional  Smiley  
you need to head to interfaces, then click your wireless in the tree and the configure in the top right
p.s
no am not on SKY i just live in a pikey area and dont want to flaunt the PN quality broadband in there faces  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I hope thats not your current pass key Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
intrepid

OK guys & girls, I have now read the PlusNet Wi-Fi security tips on
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/secure_home_network.shtml
which reiterates what you have said above.
Thank you all for your help.
scootie
Grafter

i tried looking for that page last night but thought it was in the library
Quote from: pierre_pierre
I hope thats not your current pass key Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

maybe or maybe not  Smiley
nar mine is over 20 charcters long made of random letters and numbers, the only person that could work it out would be darren brown and some days i could do with him about when stupid family members delete the wireless settings on the pc and i have to work my grey matter to produce the key again
pierre_pierre
Grafter

why worry, connect by ethernet change it and dont twell them