cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless printer setup with new 2704n router

KarenT

Wireless printer setup with new 2704n router

I have recently setup one of the new 2704N routers following the failure of my previous Plusnet router after a couple of months of use  Angry
My previously familiarity is only with Netgear routers and I can't work out how I use my 2704N to assign static IP addresses to each of my wireless printers.  Plusnet support have referred me to this forum but as the router is so new, I can't seem to find the help I need.
It probably doesn't matter what type of printers I am using but in case useful, one is an HP Laserjet P1102W and the other is a Kodak AIO 5.1 Hero.  Since being advised to use the previous Plusnet router in November 2014, I have failed to set up wifi printing with static IPs - with dynamic IPs, naturally as soon as the IP changes, the computers in the house (Windows 7, iPads and iMac) are unable to print due to the IP address change and hence the need to assign a static IP.  Everything that I have patiently spent time reading informs me to assign the static IP within the router and not the printer software as this is the most reliable approach.
i would warmly welcome idiot level guidance please and would be immensely appreciate to not have to waste too many more hours on this  Roll_eyes
jim:green router model number corrected in title mod:end
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Wireless printer setup with new 2704M router

As far as I can tell with the brief play of the 2704 router supplied to me, there is no easy way to set a static IP from the router end.
The only way I can suggest would be to manually set an IP address, gateway and DNS on each wireless device in the upper range of the DHCP pool on the router and hope it doesn't try and allocate an IP address which is already in use.
I.e. on printer 1 set
IP address 192.168.1.200
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.254
DNS 192.168.1.254 (or 8.8.8.8 )
Printer 2 as above but 192.168.1.201
Printer 3 as above but 192.168.1.202
etc etc
May or may not work but unless you are running a huge network I don't think you'll have too many issues.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't know if the 2704n provides this setting, but with the TG582n, after DHCP had assigned an IP to a device (WiFi or wired) ticking/selecting "always assign the same IP" changed the setting for that device to an infinite lease so it behaved as though it was static.
If the setting is available I suggest trying it. Since the router knows about the setting it will not assign it to another device.
David
jws
Dabbler

I just received my 2704n, and tried to set it up for my home network in advance of the fibre installation tomorrow, and discovered that PlusNet have basically crippled it.  I need to set up not only static DHCP addresses, but I also need to change the IP address range of the router, and set up a static route.  None of those standard router settings is available.  I contacted Customer Support but all they could say was "it is unsupported".
For example, as far as I can see, you can't set anything to do with DHCP at all, which basically rules out any device that would like to have a static IP address (because DHCP could give its address to something else).  The best you could do is if the printers themselves let you set a fixed IP address.  First find out what IP address the DHCP gives to your computers, and set the printers to a lower one, because often DHCP is set by default to start at an address somewhere in the range, such as 192.168.1.100 for example, and add new addresses above that.  So you would in that case never get a conflict with a device-set IP address lower than that range.  Maybe a PlusNet person might confirm that.
If PlusNet had told me that settings have been crippled on the product Ordering page I would never have ordered it, and I could have bought my own router to be ready for the installation tomorrow.  At least Customer Service was able to arrange that I will receive a bag to send it back and get a refund of the postage I paid (and then they asked if they could do anything else for me  ;D)
PlusNet!  Please put this information on the ordering pages - that VERY FEW of the usual router settings are actually available, and anyone with any kind of network or anything remotely out of the very basic (such as networked printers) should not get the PlusNet router.
(Of course all these settings ARE available on the standard off-the-shelf Sagem 2704n router)
jws
Dabbler

Oh, the 2701n DHCP starts allocating addresses at 1 (192.168.1.1).   So perhaps if you gave your fixed IP devices high numbered addresses (in the 200's)  then the DHCP will never get there - assuming it always re-uses unallocated addresses starting from 1 each time it allocates a new address - this is what DomS said above.
Again, maybe a PlusNet person could verify how they have set DHCP in their very special firmware.
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Wireless printer setup with new 2704n router

On the other thread there is a suggestion on how to get to a "hidden" set of functions - worth a try
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135846.128.html
t0nyw1ls0n

http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
Put this address in your browser and then you can go into hidden settings and change your router ip address, and also dhcp start and end addresses
Smiley
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Use
DHCP Static ip lease
Or Move the DHCP pool to start from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.253 then you can set a static ip yourself if you wish, all of this you can do on the fly.