Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless printer issues

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Wireless printer issues

I have recently got a wireless printer that works fine, until recently when it's been switched on no programme can find it,including the canon ip tool. If I restart the router then all OK again, until the next time it's been off a while. Windows seems to find it but says it needs troubleshooting. When it's found, it happily churns out what's in the queue.  Only a restart of the router seems to work. Looking at the ip table when this happens it seems to have been given an ip that's much higher than others on the network such as 192.168.1.89, when everything else is in the 192.168.1.60ish range. Everything else works fine on the network. The router is the tg582n on the fibre firmware. Is thus likely a routing issue, as the router seems to find it. I have heard of the 582n having issues with its routing tables getting confused.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Wireless printer issues

If you haven't already done so I suggest you set the "Always use the same IP address" option for this device in the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Dohhh why didn't I think of that. Wonder if its getting confused as we have phones that will constantly be getting and releasing IPs, and I wonder if the router thinks there's a conflict or something. Maybe I need to  invest in a better router.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

One weird thing with our canon wireless printer that sometimes happens, if we try to print from the desktop and the laptop is also on (both with the canon printer installed) then nothing will happen until the laptop is turned off / rebooted. Doesn't happen every time but may be a similar situation and rebooting the router does the same thing. It's almost as if it gets locked by another device.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: penfold
Maybe I need to  invest in a better router.

Hold off that until you've seen how it goes with the always use same IP option set - I suspect you'll find that has done the trick.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Maybe you need to invest in a wired printer connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just bought a new printer/scanner - wireless (against my better judgement).
You try to find a reasonably priced wired network printer/scanner (i.e. not a USB connection)!
To be fair, I've set it up (in the same room as the router) and it's absolutely fine.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: vilefox
Maybe you need to invest in a wired printer connection?

Jeremy. The printer is both wired via usb and wireless.... I used wireless as I dont have a desktop anymore and really had nowhere approprite to put it.  Its currently in a cupboard in the same room as the router. I didnt want a combo as I have a very good usb scanner that does negatives etc. I just bring it out when needed.  The printer is a bit more to lug about....