cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless networking

Hallstean
Dabbler

Wireless networking

I have an Apple Mac in the house and a laptop in another building (annexe)about 30 metres away. Is there some wireless equipment I could have in the house which could get through several walls so that I could satisfactorily use the laptop in the annexe?
11 REPLIES 11
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Wireless networking

This could be done using a couple of Access Points in bridge mode, such as Sean is doing in his network;
http://www.seanbranagh.com/network/
But the walls could be an issue, he may be able to get 1km in clear air, line of sight. But if the signal has to pass through brick/block or stone walls, that will reduce the range.
Also if you are using high gain antenna's, you do not want to be walking through and living in the beam due to the potential risk from microwave radiation.
Chilly
samuria
Grafter

You could use good old cable? If you dont use it the whole way it could be used to get the network closer so then an antena would work.
The other idea is the network that you plug into your main socket if you are on the same supply this could solve the problem
Hallstean
Dabbler

Thanks to all for replying; though it all sounds a bit complicated.
I have since read the topic 'Seeing through a brick wall' in Broadband Help and there is a suggestion there that Home Plugs will enable you to access computers which are in buildings quite some distance apart without the need for cables or wireless. Apparently all you need is a router (not wireless) and a couple of these home plugs. I've ordered them and shall be intrigued to see if it works.
pcoventry76
Grafter

it does work my friend - i have a homeplug sat behind my TV where t-internet comes in with the phoneline and i am 200 meters down the garden in a shed - and it's running down the elecy wires.
Working fine slight signal drop at 83mbps but nothing to worry about i can still stream TV from sky while i do other things.
here's a pic, mine are not netgear ( thought they were) but they are just as good ( and were £100 for 2!
3 pics - one of my homeplug behind the TV ( you can see the cat5 cable going into the bottom) - one showing it's linked into the router via the blue cat5 cable and another showing the one i have here in the outhouse
Nice!
::Edit:: Sorry for the poor quality it's the cam on my Nokia E90 - only one i have! ( Dont blow the TV plug up unless you like bad eyes!)
Hallstean
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
I've now got the home plugs and router (from www.homeplugs.co.uk) ; . . . and magic! It works . . .  in a building 40 metres away from the other computer. Fortunately the electricity supply to both buildings is all from the same source, otherwise it wouldn't have, of course. )
pcoventry76
Grafter

the source does not matter, it also works across cirsuits
they are good aint they!
Pete
pcoventry76
Grafter

i'm too tired and have too much of a life to care about the technical stuff to do with power
hulls
Grafter

Tiredness is never an excuse for rudeness Sad
pcoventry76
Grafter

not rude just to the point.
RobDickson
Grafter

It sounded rude to me. Just because you have different interests to somebody else doesn't mean that you have a life, and the other person doesn't.
Fortunately for you people like PJ and I are interested in power, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use your PC.
pcoventry76
Grafter

ah well, thanks for that bit of feedback Smiley