Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network no internet

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Wireless network no internet

Wonder if anyone who is network savvy has any ideas. I have a win 10 tower, that was running with a netgear USB wireless adapter with No issues. Since I upgraded to a dedicated GPU, I have had no end of issues with this adapter with yellow triangle no internet issues. It appears to see my network OK and appears to connect as it accepts the key, but mostly I gets a 169. IP address. No matter what I do I can't get it to obtain an IP. Tried setting a static but no joy either, still get a yellow triangle. Tried resetting winsock and the TCP stack, and also reinstalling the drivers all nothing. Wired works fine, luckily I had a 15m piece of Ethernet cable, but thus isn't a practical long term solution unfortunately. All other wired and wireless devices work fine. I'm stumped now, and oddly all thus started after installing the graphics card, but can't see a connection here though.... I have tried reseating connections as well. Anyone any ideas or have I missed any glaring troubleshooting steps

2 REPLIES 2
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Wireless network no internet

@penfold wrote:

Wired works fine,

Funny you say that... Although my missus laptop didn't have any GPU tinkering she did have the same wireless glitch where the ethernet worked perfectly.

After two years of being completely stumped.. it turned out to be a driver issue which (when i looked back) coincided with a change in our wifi setup from open to encrypted. Turns out the default driver that came with the machine wasn't good with encryption and basically nothing worked. When i updated the driver it came back to life and wireless has worked flawlessly ever since.

No idea how your gpu tinkering could cause anything similar.. but sometimes these things come around purely as coincidence.. almost like the gods are having a laugh.. so maybe best not to place blame purely on the gpu in case its something else thats caused it by coincidence.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Wireless network no internet

Just been fiddling with the system. Tried the adapter in the rear USB ports rather than the front ones and it worked although internet was really slow (it was when I tried it there when I installed put it down to all the metal a round there and why I moved it to the front USB ports). Tried again in the fronts and didn't work. I wonder if there's not enough power getting to the front ports, supplied from a header on the motherboard, as the GPU has no power connection but takes its power from the PCI x16 slot. The power supply for the system is rated at 400w. The GPU is an ati radeon r7 250. Specs say it should draw around 75w