Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network and wireless phone compatibility

hulls
Grafter

Wireless network and wireless phone compatibility

Hi
MMMM first try at the new forum.  It feels really different doesn't it?  Lots of new buttons to play with, but on to my question.
I've had my wireless network for ages with no problems (not quite true but no problems that weren't fixable).  I moved the router and plugged it directly into the master socket; still no problems.
But over the last few weeks, my signal keeps fluctuating, so that my network speed is constantly moving from the 54Mbps nominal to as little as 500Kbps (ish).  I have periods when I just can't connect at all.
Is it possible that the landline docking station is interfering with the signal?
It doesn't seem to make a differnce if the phone is in use or not, but I did wonder.
It's reminiscent of the old 56K modem days, when I would have poor connectivity through the summer (June to September) and then everything would be ok again, but broadband seemed to have cured that!
John
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Wireless network and wireless phone compatibility

It's very possible.  Have you tried disconnecting it from the mains?
hulls
Grafter

Quick response (is 4 minutes some sort of record?) Shocked
I tried unplugging the phone from the mains.  It didn't seem to make any immediate difference.
Daft question I know, but does wireless strength drop over time? The positioning of the router and the wireless reciever haven't moved significantly.
The only other change in the environment, was some work on the house, that meant the electrician earthed every bit of pipework he could see, and some he couldn't!
John
James
Grafter

It shouldn't do, but will depend on the interference in the area.  Have you tried rebooting your router itself?  How far away from the router is your computer?
Ianwild
Grafter

I run a wireless network used by a few people (http://www.wirelesswalkley.net ) and we see a lot of variation as a result of interference from other wireless users.
Maybe you could try changing the channel in use on your wireless router?
Ian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah Ian, that explains the random network that pop-ups from time to time on my laptop :d
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Do a search for other networks from your Laptop and note what wireless channels they are on and then set your router to one that is not used by other networks ( or is low signal strength ). Bear in mind that although channels 1-11 exist , only channels 1,6 and 11 are seperate channels. All the ones in between are not far enough apart to cause no interference. Once you have changed the router ,  you may need to re-setup the connection on your laptop ( or it may notice the channel has changed and work anyway ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Ah Ian, that explains the random network that pop-ups from time to time on my laptop :d

Lol - You are not the first person to say that. I once had someone round for a drink who had been using the service for months without ever knowing it was me that ran it and that he was in the house it was hosted from!
Ian
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's a pretty weak signal from my house, but it can be accessed sometimes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I got cut off again earlier, sorry.
I've checked the responses and now changed my router to channel 6, so we'll see what happens.  I get 2 or sometimes 3 other networks come up, but I can't see what channel they're on.  My Belkin adapter automatically detected the change in channel and reconnected!
I'll post here, if this seems ti fix the problem.
John
hulls
Grafter

Well, so far so good.  The change in channel seems to have helped.  (can we have a "[shadow=red,left]fingers crossed[/shadow]" emoticon please?)
John