cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network affecting an AV sender

hulls
Grafter

Wireless network affecting an AV sender

I know of at least three easy answers to this, all of which could be expensive, and one which won't cost anything.  I'm looking  for  an easy (preferably free) answer that allows my son to continue watching Sky in his bedroom. Huh
My son uses a wireless AV sender to watch Sky on the TV in his bedroom (I know, we spoil him, but at least I don't have to watch his choice of TV programme).  He also uses his desktop computer via a wireless adapter.
When data is being sent over the wireless network, it causes interference on the TV (but only if he's using the AV sender/receiver).  Obviously the more data being sent (and we may have up to four computers on line at a time, or transferring data between each other) the greater the interference.
Is there a way to eradicate this interference, without:
1. purchasing a new (more expensive) wireless AV sender.  Undecided
2. connecting the TV in my son's room via a cable to the Sky box downstairs.  Undecided
3.Paying even more money to Sky for (another) multiroom subscription.  Undecided
John
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wireless network affecting an AV sender

Have you tried changing the channel the wireless network uses
hulls
Grafter

Hi Oldjim
I tried channels 1 and 11, and also changing from  11b and 11g to 11g only.  No real difference.  The AV also has a choice of 3 channels, and I tried each of those.
John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does he use one eye for the television and one eye for the PC?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: hulls
Hi Oldjim
I tried channels 1 and 11, and also changing from  11b and 11g to 11g only.  No real difference.  The AV also has a choice of 3 channels, and I tried each of those.
John

Are the sender and router sat next to each other? If so could you move them apart any further?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hulls
Grafter

@ Axisofevil  -  You know what teenagers are like at multitasking.  TV, internet, Facebook, MSN, computer games and of course homework all at the same time!  Crazy
@ adiewoo - it doesn't matter, even if his wireless adapter is unplugged.  If someone else in the house is using the network, he still gets the interference.  Sad
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got ferrite rings on the power and aerial leads
hulls
Grafter

No.  I don't think I have any lying around to try.  If I could get hold of some, do you mean the scart lead from the receiver to the TV and the DC lead that powers it?
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A lot of power leads come with them on, about 25mm long 12mm dia.
Go down Springfield Road to Maplins, Opposite Tesco
Some are larger Toroids that you wind the cable round, Used a lot in the CB radio days
hulls
Grafter

Hi Pierre
I knew what they were, just didn't know if / where I could buy them on their own (I suppose Maplins was a bit obvious  Embarrassed ) Now do I put them on the DC cable to the reciever or the scart cable to the TV or both?
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

tiial and error really, a lot of power leads are supplied fitted, On CB we used to put it on the Aerial
hulls
Grafter

I nipped down to Maplins (the foreign guy I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about, but I found them anyway.  I've put a small one on the power lead, and a larger one on the scart lead, and it seems to have improved a bit.  I'll try taking it off the scart lead and put it on the aerial (if it'll fit!)
Thanks for the advice anyway.
John
hulls
Grafter

Spoke too soon.  Undecided  They don't really make any difference, when there's internet activity as well.  It looks like I'll need a much better (more expensive) AV sender, or opt for one of the other solutions.
Thanks again for the help.
John
mal0z
Grafter

I think we are talking about units that work on radio frequencies very close to each other - and whenever radio is involved you can get interference do to all sorts of things ( harmonics etc etc ).
As houses use more and more radio kit - it will just get worse !!!. These wifi / AV kits use unlicensed and therefore uncontrolled frequency bands.
In other fields of radio - the channels are licensed and controlled so that intermodulation effects, power levels etc are kept under control. ( It still be a nightmare though  Shocked  )
I believe there are new radio technologies being developed to overcome some  these issues but in the meantime it's a bit of a minefield.
Sorry - I can't offer any short term remedies that have not been mentioned here.
except maybe move the wireless router to somewhere more central to the house so it works equally well in bedrooms and lounge etc..
personally - I prefer to put ethernet wiring in where I can  Grin
chillypenguin
Grafter

Both the AV sender and 802.11b/g wireless networks use the same 2.4GHz frequency band. Which is why you are seeing issues. The AV sender may also be having an effect on the wireless network!
If you can not run a cable to your son's bed room, (Is that not cavity walls where designed for  Wink up to the loft then back down into your sons room. )
I can suggest two three options, unfortunately both require cash  Sad
1)  Power line Ethernet  adapters in place of the current wireless.
Or if you `must have` wireless;
2)  Change to a 802.11a 5GHz wireless network. (Could be a costly option, as it will require a new router, and wireless cards. And 802.11a is more of an enterprise than domestic solution.)
3)  If you do go for another AV sender make sure its not a 2.4GHz unit; 5.8GHz AV senders are available;
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=224299&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15