cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless link fault - Netgear Router, Belkin USB Adapter

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Wireless link fault - Netgear Router, Belkin USB Adapter

I have added a pc to my wireless network. The network has a Netgear DG834G V2 router, but the pc came with a Belkin USB Wireless Adapter. I have downloaded and installed the Belkin driver (checked carefully to get the correct variant), and have set it up as well as can be. Have included the WPA-PSK code (or whatever it is called) copied from the router, but while the remote pc can see the wireless signal, I can't get it to receive the IP address.
I have set my router to load specific IP Addresses on each of the pcs that are allowed access to my network, so I know what address the remote pc should receive.
I would be grateful for any suggestions of cures, please.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Wireless link fault - Netgear Router, Belkin USB Adapter

WPA comes in different non-interchangeable flavours - the first thing I would check is that you have exactly the same options set on the router and the lappy.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hi Denzil
I have gone through the setup according to the router and the setup according to the adapter, and I cannot spot the difference. The adapter can see the SSID. It has the same key. The router has the Bulkin MAC and a fixed IP address for the Bulkin. It cannot see the Bulkin, at least the Bulkin doesn't appear on the list of attached devices that the router produces, though my wife's laptop, and my sons laptop both appear (and communicate).
I guess if the pc with the Bulkin adapter on cannot get its IP address, it wont be able to get itself listed on the router Attached list. This is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. If the router cannot see the pc, it wont know it is being asked for an IP address. If the pc cannot get an IP address it wont be able to talk to the router. I assume when it starts up, the pc sees a network, and then it will try to connect by telling the router it is there. I have the "automatic connect" tick set, but pressing the manual Connect button doesn't work either.
The link doesn't ping in either direction (assuming it is possible to ping one way but not the other).
The Bulkin User Manual seems to follow a slightly different version of Windows XP to that on my pcs, so I have had to guess the way occasionally when following the Troubleshooting part of the Bulkin manual.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The usual test is to try it with no encryption - if the Belkin can't communicate, you would probably
find it easier to throw the Belkin away and buy a Netgear adaptor.
Probably a good idea to disconnect from the internet whilst you try this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Axisofevil you were correct. I borrowed a Netgear adaptor from another pc, and I now have the wireless link working.
There was another problem - the USB port I had been using was faulty. Unfortunately having found that didn't get the Belkin adapter working just by moving it to the new port.
Thanks for your help.