cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection unreliable

chrisco
Grafter

Wireless connection unreliable

Hi all, I have a Belkin ADSL2 + modem with wireless G plus MIMO router model F5D9630 which was working fine until just recently. To connect wirelessly I have to go to services to start the windows XP wireless zero config & this is ok until I shut down & reboot & I have to carry out the same performance to connect each time. I have a choice to use the Belkin utility or the standard windows utility to control the wireless connection & have used both at different times but I still have to start the WZC. I have done a connectivity test results as follows: Loopback, IP, Gateway, DNS, Heartbeat, Belkin, Yahoo, all passes, WAN- Fail.
I have contacted Belkin support & cannot get a satisfactory answer to the problem, I have tried resetting to factory settings checked that all the info I've used is correct & it is, contacted PN support who tell me to unplug the device for 15 mins (sounds all too familiar!) Checked the device manager which tells me the device is working ok. I suspect a setting must be wrong but don't know enough to be sure. I can connect with ethernet cable but daughter need the wireless connection for her laptop. It takes an age to load web pages as well but I'm not sure if this has a bearing on the problem. Hope this is enough info for someone to hopefully give me a clue as to what the problem is.
6 REPLIES 6
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection unreliable

Hi,
looks like the wireless utility is disabling WZC on startup.
you might have tried this but give it a go if not:
does the utility start when windows starts (listed on the startup tab on msconfig.exe)?
1. disable the utility from starting with windows
2. set the WZC to automatic start instead of manual start
reboot and use the standard windows wireless tool to check.
chrisco
Grafter

Hi thanks for your reply,
Quote from: RamiDoodle

use the standard windows wireless tool to check.

Sorry to sound dumb but how do I do that?
Mand
Grafter

Re:Wireless connection unreliable

You need to go to services.msc and then choose Wireless zero config >> properties >> startup - automatic.
chrisco
Grafter

Hi Mand,
I have carried out the steps 1 & 2 no problem but what does ramidoodle mean by use the standard window wireless tool to check. Where do I find the tool & what am I checking?
Am I being thick........... do I need to activate the WZC as well as using the Belkin utility to control the wireless connection or choose one or the other.
scootie
Grafter

this on vista. go to start menu and connect to
EDIT. sorry didnt see the OP was on xp.
added 2nd pic of xp.
right click the circled icon in the task bar and pick view wireless networks ( this is the default wireless app on xp and needs the wzc service to be running)
chrisco
Grafter

This is okay until I shut down & I have to start the WZC manually when I reboot even thought it's set for automatic, not too much of a problem for me but it is for the rest of the family it seems, any other ideas as to why this should be happening, has anyone else out there got the same router?