Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection suddenly failed - XP

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wireless connection suddenly failed - XP

A laptop running XP SP3 which was happily connected to the internet via a Netgear DG834G wireless connection suddenly wouldn't get an ip address automatically. Signal strength is excellent.
After a lot of messing about we fixed it by putting an IP address and DNS servers directly into TCP/IP properties.
Previous I had tried the commands netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh int ip reset reset.log with no effect.
The ipconfig/all command showed a completely rubbish ip address.
Any suggestions as to why this happened. Note that disabling the firewall had no effect
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Wireless connection suddenly failed - XP

Are you on the ADSL2+ test?
My Netgear DG834GT happily connected to the internet - but wireless became a question of luck.
I was mostly using static addresses too.
I have a new Plusnet router now - which has it's faults, but not the ones described by you.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

No - still on the old tried and trusted system
Note that another computer connected via wireless without a problem so I think the problem is with the laptop/XP
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Second computer wouldn't connect this morning - router reboot fixed it
Still don't know what caused it but will see if it happen again
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would make a note of the configuration - in case you return your router to factory settings.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That isn't a problem - I have changed routers so often when trying to solve a problem that I know them by heart  Crazy
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

sounds to me like your routing tables gotten fried at some point.  If you are still using manual IP for the Lappy put it back on auto and run a ROUTE PRINT and hve a look see what the Active Tables are saying (although you probably done that already). Embarrassed
samuria
Grafter

You need to isolate the problem and see if its windows not getting a ip hence a fault with windows stack or if the router dhcp is not working.
Download
http://www.softcab.com/dhcp-server/index.php
A mini dhcp server and run that for a few days setting it to the right ip range for your router(disable the dhcp on the router). If you can get a ip from that ok then it will show the problem is with the router. XP if it cant get and ip uses its own built in default rubbish ip